Sunday, September 7, 2014

Loving life

So a few things have happened recently, the main one being that Jeremy has moved to Port Lincoln for three months to work in the Aboriginal Health Centre.  He is really enjoying it and as usual, everyone loves him. He has started asking the patients "How's your guni?" instead of asking about 'bowel movements' or 'poop' since this is the aboriginal word for it.  He has really been loving the kids in particular, especially the ones who don't scream and wriggle around! Hehehe.

I went there last weekend for a visit.  I was looking forward to seeing his new surroundings and I had heard great things about Port Lincoln in general.  He picked me up from the airport and before we headed to his place he took me up to a lookout.  One of the things that stood out is how green the area is.



This is his home until November.  He is enjoying having a modern kitchen with lots of counter space and a really nice shower!  The view out the back door to the marina is not too shabby either.  Strangely I didn't take a picture of that - I will next time!


On Saturday, we drove out to Coffin Bay (which is famous for oysters) to go for a hike in the national park.  We were treated to the gorgeous scenery displayed below.  I'm quite sure that I saw an emu on our hike, but it was only fleeting so I'm not 100% sure.  Otherwise the only sign of wildlife we saw was lots of different kinds of poop (mainly herbivore).  It's too bad Tracee wasn't with us - she is quite good at identifying herbivore feces ;)

Here's a little blurb about Coffin Bay oysters - Coffin Bay is the premier oyster growing region for South Australia, producing the ever popular ‘ Coffin Bay ’ Oyster, well known for its quality, flavour and size, and marketed all over Australia and overseas.

We weren't really feeling like oysters - neither of us are big seafood eaters but we are slowly improving.  Jeremy has made a vow that while he is in Port Lincoln, he will sample any seafood given to him.  He has already had a prawn and calamari.  When I was there we went out for dinner and our appetizer was scallops wrapped in bacon (YUM).  Jeremy had two of these, and even tried a bite of my main, which was a tuna steak.  Port Lincoln is also famous for tuna, so I figured I should give it a go.




Finally, I also ended up in Brisbane for Jess' 30th birthday.  We had dinner and then went to a 'secret' bar (a room in a larger bar/restaurant with its own private bar, reserved just for our party).  It was here that I had my dream drink, a cocktail in a coconut.



Jeremy came home this weekend for the first time in a month and we had the best time!  It was absolutely gorgeous weather...spring has definitely sprung in Adelaide.  We went for a walk along the beach and had a snack at a place overlooking the ocean.  Then we went for the most amazing burgers of life at a place called "Bread and Bone" and caught up with some lovely friends for cocktails.  I dropped him off at the airport this evening, but wasn't too sad because he'll actually be back on Wednesday as we are off to Melbourne Thursday for his (belated) birthday outing to see the stage production of Les Miserables.  

Life is fantastic, but very very busy and we're not home much with makes it quite difficult to Skype.  So just in case we don't get in touch, a very happy birthday to my fabulous mother-in-law Kath!



No comments:

Post a Comment