Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Not always easy

I have to start by saying that I have a wonderful life. I am lucky in many ways, including supportive family, amazing husband, great friends, cute cats, educational opportunities, working in a field that I love, and not really too much to worry about at all. So I guess it sounds bad if I am less than positive or have complaints about anything. I feel like I'm starting to get a bit burnt out and the last three months have started taking a toll on me. I am not the best at dealing with stress or pressure, and it seems to be coming from a lot of different places. I drive to and from Clare weekly (sometimes more often) by myself, sometimes in dark and less than ideal road conditions (not as bad as Canada, obviously!) I live in Clare from Thurs - Mon and Adelaide from Mon - Thurs. I live out of a suitcase a lot of the time. I pay rent in two places. I feel disjointed...like I don't actually belong to either place. My friends in Adelaide know I'm not around on the weekends and so I don't get invited to events. Because I spend the week in Adelaide, I get classified by the people in Clare as someone who hasn't fully committed to the Clare lifestyle. That being said, we have had friends up to visit on numerous occasions and have had lots of fun. I thought it would be fine and that I could cope with it, but it turns out it might not be as easy as expected. I love my job at Griffith, but have become disillusioned and frustrated with a boss who resents me for deciding to do a PhD. Someone who doesn't follow proper protocol when it comes to my employment or just general policies. Who expects a lot out of me without offering me much in return. This sounds ungrateful because I will always be thankful to her for giving me a chance when I first moved here and it has changed my life...despite this, there comes a time when maybe the relationship needs to come to an end before things take a turn for the worse(r). Trying to keep this person happy makes me feel like I am neglecting my PhD, which in essence should be my full-time job at the moment. It just seems like there are so many people to please, and so many ways for me to fail. I have had a cold which I haven't been able to get rid of for the last 1-2 weeks and have been taking cold and flu tablets to try and make it through some of the days because I don't really have the option of calling in sick when I only work two half (which end up being full) days a week. I've never liked those tablets; they make me feel weird and I avoid them as much as possible. I feel completely exhausted and sometimes have to constantly pinch myself to stay awake while driving. I am trying to take steps toward moving permanently to Clare, but is that the right decision? I think so. I guess maybe it's time to move in the direction of really settling. Being at a point where I can comfortably predict that I'll still be in the same place in three years. For the last 6.5 years everything has been up in the air and I've mostly enjoyed it. But I might have just reached that point. Like I said, I really don't have a lot to complain about. Everyone has their own issues to deal with, whether it's someone with a high pressure job and crazy hours (doctor, nurse, lawyer), a dangerous job (factory work, construction), emotional issues, a new parent who is dealing with lack of sleep, a parent with a few kids who sometimes has trouble coping, someone going through a break up, losing someone you love, conflicts with loved ones, being separated from loved ones, or just feeling like it's all too much. So I feel like I don't really have a right to be overwhelmed or stressed, but it's okay...it happens to everyone. And I'm okay, I just need to figure a few things out and make some positive changes.

1 comment:

  1. You have to think of yourself!!!!
    You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete