Thursday, February 3, 2011

Quick update!

6 more days of placement, 10 more days till I return to humid Brisbane. I'm still loving my placement and I really think I want to work in the rehab field. I like the variety - swallowing, cog comm, aphasia, apraxia, dysarthria, pragmatics, etc etc etc. I have my own patients and I love working with them. Dysphagia (swallowing) is not as scary now - I don't feel like I'm going to give someone aspiration pneumonia. It's really good because my supervisor is very brave and confident, so I feel okay trying things out.

Queensland is taking a real beating lately. Cyclone Yasi in Northern Queensland is the latest disaster. 2011 hasn't had the most auspicious beginning.

Tonight, after I leave the library, I'm heading into the city. My housemate does marketing/events for SkyCity, the big tower and casino in Auckland. It's Chinese New Year, which is the event she's been working on so I'm going to check out the events. There will be Chinese firecrackers, acrobats, and all sorts of other performances. Then home to bed so I can be up at my usual early hour tomorrow - the end of my second last week!! Although I'm really enjoying it, I hope it goes by fairly quickly beacuse I miss home! I will be sad to leave Auckland (THE WEATHER. THE WEATHER. SOOOOO GOOD) but happy to see J and friends :)

I spent last weekend in the Bay of Islands. Was nice and relaxing. Met a really cool girl from Washington DC, just finishing her last year of med school. We're invited to Hawaii - free place to stay!

Ok, time on comp runs out in 2 mins.
xo

1 comment: