Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mad March

Mad March in Adelaide is upon us, although I think the last week of the month is decidedly less mad than the preceding weeks.  Adelaide is considered the best city to visit this time of year because of all the awesome events, many of which I have spoken about in previous posts.

How have we been spending the last couple of weeks of Mad March?

Well.  Jeremy, Jane and I had one last trip to the Garden of Unearthly Delights for 'Pigs on Fire'.  Or I should say I accompanied Jeremy and Jane on this adventure but I just wasn't feeling the pigs.  They sure were though - check out Jeremy's extremely happy expression!  As you can see, he's also wearing a 'jumper' which signifies that the days of 40+ degrees are long gone and we have entered 'Autumn'.


We had friends visit from Melbourne - a speech pathology buddy (Jody) and her boyfriend Matt.  They drove from Melbourne and had a series of misfortunes along the way (including having to sleep in the car one night when they accidentally drove into a beachy area and got bogged down/stuck in the dark and couldn't get help until morning (another reason NOT to listen to Google Maps sometimes!)  Their fortunes returned in Adelaide though - we didn't have any mishaps!  It was a short and sweet visit, but we fit in a tour of the Adelaide Hills, dinner, and we let them wander around the Garden while we attended Grace's concert.

 This is 'Bird in Hand', one of my favourite Adelaide Hills wineries.  It was all set up for a wedding reception and looked like a grand place for a wedding, in case anyone is considering getting married in SA!
Jody and I taking the requisite 'back of the cab' selfie.

Last weekend it was a miraculous occasion - Jeremy and several of our doctor friends actually all had the weekend off!  We decided this must be taken advantage of, so we went away to Victor Harbor for the weekend.  Victor Harbor is a little town just over an hour away and is picturesque and a great place to visit.  A lot of Adelaidians spend summer holidays there.  The weather wasn't amazing, but we had board games, a scenic view, a beautiful place, and good company!

This was our living room with a view outside to the sparkling blue ocean.  We really couldn't complain!  We played some afternoon board games outside on the balcony until a gust of wind almost blew our game away!


 On the way home, we stopped in at the Alexandrina Cheese Company and all the Canadians HAD to buy cheese curds.  Of course, when we saw these 'face hole boards' or 'carnival cut-outs' as I have now heard them called, I had to get everyone to participate in the picture.  I just can't resist!!



1 comment: