"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the
circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself.
That is something you have charge of."
To continue on from the February blog challenge, we have had monthly prompts (instead of daily!) which theoretically should be easier to respond to - but I guess in February I got into a routine. Now, there is no routine...but I'm going to respond to the June prompt! (Better late than never)
Our task for this month is to talk about how we have changed since becoming an expat.
This requires much reflection. Of course I have changed, but I have also aged 5.5 years, continued my schooling, embarked on my dream career path...etc.
I think one of the main changes has been increased independence. When you live in one place your whole life and have your family and friends you've known since you were a kid/teenager, you get pretty comfy. When we moved to Brisbane, I was obsessed with finding friends and having a social life. I was 25 and had just made this big move, Jeremy was busy with med school, and I didn't have a lot going on. I found amazing friends in Brisbane and I really really really wanted that. When we moved to Adelaide (particularly after I found a job after my couple of months of unemployment woes) I was more content to just take it easy. We haven't actually gone out to a club since we've been here. I feel so old admitting that! But that is a change...it's just not my scene anymore. I *really* like sitting in my backyard reading, going out for dinner, and having friends come over. Life has slowed down. I'm really happy to spend time with Jeremy and don't feel the need to always have something planned or someone else around. In my recent social pursuits, I've done things like join a book club (which I had always wanted to do) and play hockey (not so much this year, I've been lagging). More sedate activities than med kegs and weekends at Zaphod's.
When I visited Canada recently, there were people that I hadn't seen for almost three years. The greatest thing is when you get together with these people and even though you've all changed in various ways, there is something fundamental about your relationship that can weather these changes. There's this familiarity about your friends 'back home' that is different from the relationships that you build as an expat. It's something that I cherish more with each visit, when I expect that maybe that special thing might be a bit different - but it's not. I think that a lot of time, change means growth - but it's nice to know that your 'people' will always be there :)

The important thing is that we are having fun!
ReplyDelete