Knives, brawls and traffic chaos: It could only be the opening of a DONUT shop in Adelaide
- 145 council parking fines worth $21,000 were issued to donut fans who were causing traffic chaos in order to get their sugar hit
- Long queues have caused fights between the crazed customers with police attending the shop about 20 times for both behavioural and parking issues
- Fines range from $62 for stopping in a loading zone to $245 for parking in a bicycle lane – an offence accounting for 60 fines
- Customers who are fined will receive free donuts
- The hype comes as a a man threatened two teens with a knife and took their six boxes of donuts last Wednesday.
I have settled into the job at Modbury and I hope that my time with the team gets extended. I know they want someone full time, but maybe it will take a long time for them to find someone suitable? I guess I'll just have to wait and see!!
Last weekend Jeremy was off work so we drove to the town of Melrose in the Southern Flinders Ranges. Our accommodation was rather quirky - an old truck with a house built around it. We were staying in the red truck (first picture below). It was an interesting experience, but the bathroom was actually located in the second truck which can be easily seen in the picture...so you had to briefly step outside in order to access the second area. Not normally a problem, but when it's down to 1 degree can be a bit chilly! The second picture is the inside of the green truck, which is a bit more spacious than the one we stayed in, but it's the same idea.
The aim of our road trip was to spend the night on Friday and then hike in the ranges on Saturday. We chose the Sugar Gum Lookout hike in Mt Remarkable National Park, which was a pleasant 8 km stroll. Strange coincidence - as we were heading back to the parking lot, a bunch of people from various trails all start to show up. We were walking behind a group of people and they got to the bathroom first so I was sitting outside waiting. One lady came out to wash her handsm looked over at me and said: "Speech therapist?" I said "...yes..." and she said "Leana?" which was really strange because I was looking right at her and had absolutely no idea who she was...then she said her name, and it all made sense. She's an occupational therapist who I share a private client with. We had met once, months earlier at a meeting and occasionally talk on the phone. It was just so out of context that I couldn't place her at all! I think she had an easier time with me because of the accent :)
I can't believe I didn't mention the huge news that we got permanent residency! It's funny - you pay all this money, fill out pages and pages of paperwork, do the medical, get the RCMP clearances...and then you just wait. One day you check your e-mail and there it is...a bit anti-climactic really. I was working at Modbury that day and I don't really know my co-workers there really well but I did inform them that I was a permanent resident now! Jeremy and I got these shirts which demonstrate our position:
I wore mine to hockey yesterday and got a few comments from other Canadians. One girl wanted to knew where I got it so she could get one for herself!
So that's about it...we've just been muddling our way through winter, trying to stay warm. Jeremy keeps working crazy hours...after today he has 4 days off, then 4 days on, then off to Port Lincoln. It has arrived quickly...hopefully the time he's away will pass fairly quickly as well!



Hi Leana
ReplyDeleteIt is great to read your blog. Mom and I are "camping" in the self-contained space capsule with the attached Sea Doo. Like your truck accommodations but we have indoor plumbing. Belated happy birthday to Jeremy. You can write your Tim Horton article about Krispy Kreme (I am still waiting).
Love you Baby!
Love
Dad and Mom
Hurray for permanent residency!! :)
ReplyDelete