Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shakespeare in the Vines


This is my view as I lounge outside on this first evening of autumn. On our last summer night, we had four visitors drive up from Adelaide and attend a performance of Shakespeare in the Vines. Jeremy, Andy, Maeri-Anne and I decided to ride bikes to Sevenhill Winery, while Jen and Chris drove and also transported all of our seating in their car. They managed to squeeze us in almost at the front with our bean bags and beach chairs. 

There's something about watching Shakespeare performed outdoors at a winery. Some sort of magic in the air. The actors were wonderful, particularly one of the witches who was just fully into the role. We did have a bit of rain, at which point one of the cast members said "the heavens seemed to have opened up, so we advise everyone to take shelter for five minutes and once it passes we will continue the performance". Sure enough, it only took five minutes and the skies were clear once again. Amusingly, one of the first lines uttered in the play following our rain break was "it shall not rain tonight!" which elicited some mirth from the audience.

The bike ride back was interesting, being that we were on the Riesling trail which has no lighting and it was pitch black. Luckily we all had some form of light to help us in our way.

I will miss this view for the next three weeks. Various events and commitments are keeping me in Adelaide for most of March. Jeremy is going to be in Adelaide from Wednesday to Sunday as he has some training with AOGP and then will stay on for the weekend to take in some Fringe events. Then he heads back to Clare and I don't accompany him...sad! The weekend after that, my lovely friend Claire is flying in from Melbourne for our friend MJ's baby shower high tea. While Claire is here, we have booked tickets to see the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra's performance of Danny Elfman music from Tim Burton movies which I'm very excited about. The weekend after that, I was really hoping Jeremy would be able to come to Adelaide to go to a friend/co-worker's engagement party with me, but he has a four day radiology course in Clare which falls over that weekend. 

Ah well, I will just appreciate it even more next time I'm here.

2 comments:

  1. I would have been freaked out bicycling in the dark!!!
    Jeremy's description is fantastic! I hope he doesn't buy a motorcycle......
    Your place sounds divine!!!
    Max used to lie in an undignified manner too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the motorcycle!
    I don't think I would have encouraged you to bike in the dark :P
    It's a gorgeous place!
    I guess I've had a succession of undignified cats :)

    ReplyDelete