Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Still don't have internet at home. AaNet is awesome!

So it's our anniversary this weekend and we decided we'd spend the day at the Gold Coast playing in the ocean, and then stay for one night. I booked the least expensive thing that I found, which happened to be the Holiday Inn. I had to talk to Sandra (who was my boss at SpeechNet) on the phone the other day and she mentioned that she was going away to the Gold Coast with her husband for a birthday trip, just for one night. In the 11 years since they've had kids, it will be their 4th night away. So anyway - guess where they're staying? Aaaaah! Strange coincidence - I think she's hoping that we won't run into each other, since Jeremy and her husband Chris will likely start talking about Dungeons and Dragons and it will be all over...

We're still loving the new house, even without the internet...maybe more! Haha. I've read so many books this past week. One of them was recommended by my mother-in-law (hm, I don't use that term often!!). March, by Geraldine Brooks. It was excellent! It's the story of Mr. March, the dad from Little Women who is away for basically the whole book (Little Women) and the author is really adept at interweaving his story with what's going on back at home, and throwing in a few surprises and little plot twists you'd never expect. I need to read more by her...I've really enjoyed the two books that I've read.

We also tried to go to Ekka last weekend. Ekka is the Brisbane equivalent of the Ex in Ottawa, but for some reason it's a GIGANTIC deal here!! We set out on Sunday, which was an absolutely gorgeous day and somehow Jeremy was able to navigate us through the public transit system to where it was. But as we "rocked up" (hahaha..I love that expression, Australians use it all the time) we noticed that the rides seemed to be not quite right...and there were no crowds...and, well, the ticket booths were closed. Yep. We managed to pick the day it was being taken down. We still had a great day walking around the Valley, looking at the stalls on the Brunswick St mall, and then meeting up with Sean for $2 steak. 2 DOLLARS. Yes. That is right.

Right, and my trip back to Canada is finalized - FINALLY - so I'll be in that neck of the woods starting Sept 24th for a couple of weeks. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment