Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gangs and just regular stuff

I think I've mentioned that now that I drive every day, I hear much more news, current events, etc.  I just switched gyms to this awesome 24 hr one nearby (old one was good, but further and the hours were terrible!!) and they have TVs on their treadmills and other cardio machines.  Since I generally go after work, I usually end up being there around 5 pm which is the perfect time to watch the news while I murder myself on the machines.

A trend recently has been the topic of gangs in Australia/Qld.  There have been a few incidents in and around recently and this has led the government to propose a crackdown on laws concerning "bikie" gangs...yes, they call them bikies.  It just sounds so misleadingly cute!  Seems like the main thing is more serious charges for selling guns.  So just for interest's sake, let's investigate what the bikies have been up to lately:

A BRAZEN gunman was still on the loose last night after a terrifying double shooting at the Gold Coast's busiest shopping centre, as a bikie war on the Glitter Strip escalated to potentially deadly levels. A woman, 53, was shot in the crossfire as a heavily tattooed bikie opened fire on a rival gang member, believed to be Jacques Teamo, at the packed Robina Town Centre.  Hundreds of shoppers ran for their lives while shopkeepers closed stores and cowered behind counters with customers as shots rang out outside a phone shop near the centre's busy food court and cinema complex.

Four men have been injured in violent attacks at two businesses in Brisbane's east on Thursday afternoon.  At around 4:00pm AEST a group of five men armed with baseball bats entered a tattoo parlour on Wynnum Road at Norman Park.  Police say the men used the bats to assault two men inside the parlour.
The two injured men were taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital with arm fractures.  The shop was also badly damaged.  Police say around half an hour after that attack, the same men entered a locksmith business on Wellington Road in nearby East Brisbane.  Another two men were assaulted and the property was also damaged.

A vehicle linked to the Bandidos was burned last week, not long after Mr Teamo's tattoo parlour was sprayed with bullets.


An attempted drive-by shooting of the Gypsy Jokers clubhouse at Everton Hills followed, but the offenders targeted the wrong building.


Arsonists on Tuesday set ablaze a car in a Moorooka saleyard owned by former Queensland Bandidos president and convicted heroin trafficker Mario Vosmaer.


Pretty crazy stuff, eh?  I don't recall events of this nature taking place in Ottawa, but maybe I was just blissfully ignorant!

What else...well, another long weekend 'done and dusted' - urgh, I love long weekends, but I hate when they're over!  I might have another one coming up not this weekend but the following one - "Ipswich Show Day".  All of my schools will be out, but Ipswich and Brisbane have different show holidays and I'd rather have the Brisbane one.  Makes kinda more sense to take the Ipswich one though, so I might just have to suck it up!  Oh woe is me, making decisions about public holidays!

Jeremy is studying away - he has exams tomorrow, Thurs and Fri.  Obstetrics and Gynecology will be FINISHED!  Next onto Paediatrics...and then to Canada for a bazillion years (or two months) for elective while I stay here and bring home the bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment