How did that happen???
Time just keeps going by. Jeez. I attended the DECD (Department of Education and...something something) induction earlier this week. Two full unpaid days - sweet! They mentioned that of the people on the locum register, they tend to choose the ones who have been to induction, so that is positive. It sounded like there might be some openings coming up. It's good, in some ways...but I was kind of hoping to use this opportunity to get OUT of education! Unfortunately, beggars can't be choosers. I'm stumped as to how there have only been three jobs posted over weeks and weeks, but that's the way it is. The people at induction were really friendly and seemed quite curious about how things are done in Education Queensland. They said that they have a lot of respect for the speech pathology service at EQ and theirs is apparently modelled after EQ in a lot of ways. I must admit, I did enjoy sleeping in this morning - it'll be a shock to get back into a regular work routine - but one that I'm looking forward to!
I tried out my new skates on Sunday afternoon. I was surprised at how many people were at the Adelaide rink! (Otherwise known as Ice ArenA) There were tons of people there, and a lot of them were pretty good. Claire was definitely better than me...after four years with minimal practise (I've been twice since moving to Australia) I suppose it's no surprise that my skills have significantly decreased! I was too scared to do the side stop thing...might get my skates sharpened and then attempt it. By the end of the session, I was feeling much more comfortable. We're heading back there for a Friday evening skate, and I'm sure it will get better each time.
Totally in love with Adelaide's festivals. The license plates here say "The Festival State" and they really aren't kidding. This past Friday, I took myself out for lunch to "Fork on the Road" - a FOOD TRUCK festival!!! It has been described as: a celebration of Adelaide's growing food truck culture all in one place
at the one time, creating a delicious new type of market arrangement in
the heart of the CBD.With a broad range of scrumptious food and
drink, along with live music, Fork on the Road raises community exposure
to the gourmet mobile food movement and a chance to support local
independent small business. Each of the sensational mobile eateries offers mouth-watering flavour and a memorable experience. I was impressed with how busy it was and the range of deliciousness on offer!! Jeremy was hard at work, so I won mega wife points when I bought him a sample platter from the "Sneaky Pickle" food truck which included a pastrami sandwich, pulled pork on a bun, and deep friend pickles and delivered it to the hospital. I couldn't forget Lara, his fellow intern, so she was treated to a tasty brownie. Even the premier of SA (Jay Weatherill, WOWOWOWOWOWWWWWWW im pressed with my astute political knowledge????!?) dropped by to sample the goodies!!
Coming up, we have the Fringe Festival, the Cellar Door Festival, the Adelaide Festival, WOMAdelaide, the Salsa Festival, and the Cabaret Festival...among others. And not to mention the big Lunar New Year Street Party this Saturday. Awesomeness.
Wow! Sounds like the festival capital of the WORLD!
ReplyDeleteGreat experiences!!
Love you lots,
Mum & Dad