Friday, September 6, 2013

The Great Ocean Road...kind of

I was beginning to be mighty cranky at blogspot because I've been trying to post these pics for awhile now, and finally it has magically worked!  This is Blue Lake in Mt Gambier.


 Famous tower in Mt Gambier - very windy up here!  Long walk up and down a very steep hill in order to get this close up!
 View from the Great Ocean Road.  Check out the rainbow in the distance!  We had alternate patches of grey/yucky rain, with clear breaks and rainbows!

I actually had Jeremy turn the car around so that we could go back and get a picture of this giant evil koala!  It had glowing red eyes and was super creepy.

There are more pictures (obviously needed to get the 12 Apostles, etc) but they're on Jeremy's phone and I can't access them.  C'est dommage!

So, Sunday was absolutely filled with driving!  We stopped for Glick's bagels before heading out of Melbourne. Listening to the GPS got us a little lost just outside of Melbourne, which was quite inconvenient since we had a bazillion hours of driving ahead, but we made the best of it.  I had been warned that the Great Ocean Rd is very twisty-turny, and that is not a joke!  I never get car sick, motion sick, any sort of stomach sick really, but the constant curves actually did make me feel fairly nauseated.  We didn't really stop in any of the lovely little towns on the way, because the weather wasn't great and we really did need to get back to Adelaide so that I could make it to work on Monday.  This was a shame, and I feel that I need to return to really do it justice.  Anyone thinking of driving the Great Ocean Rd, take heed - I think you need *at least* 3 days to do it properly.  We made it to the 12 Apostles - it was raining, freezing (like literally - it was about 0C) and HAILING...and the wind was whipping hail into our faces, which was awesome...definitely had a memorable experience!  Once we had done that, we still had to face several hours more of driving, but without the scenery and (thankfully) the twisty windy roads.  We made it to Adelaide at about 11 pm - I think we are both done with driving 'holidays' for awhile now!!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you wanted the photos! I'll put them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you read this! And you commented. That's nice/cute.

    ReplyDelete