Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Back yard bliss, hernia repair and cider - three wholly related topics

I've been taking time recently to wind down from the craziness that was Christmas/New Year's and just relax.  One of my favourite places to do this is in our back yard.  We have strung up fairy lights, gathered a mish mash assortment of seating (old couch, lounge, fake papasan chair, chair hammock, wicker chair, temporary bean bag chair) and created a comfortable area for getting cozy with a book. We also have our little pool, which is a welcome relief on baking hot days.  I must say, this week is much more tolerable, with day time temperatures in the mid-high 20s, dropping to below 20 at night time.  Makes for a much nicer sleep.


I thought I would add a couple of photos to give the full back yard experience!  As you can see, we have also swapped our glaring spot light for a coloured light which has the option of changing colours...so we have purple and blue!  There's also a sneaky orange cat making his way through the first picture. 

Work was surprisingly busy during the holiday season but things seem to be getting quieter now (not good - I want work!!!!)  It all usually evens out in the end - if a lot of my inpatients are discharged, for some reason I get more calls from the aged care residences.  Strange how that works!  Anyway, it was a good thing that I only had to go in for the morning today, because I had to pick Jeremy up from surgery.  I dropped him off at 7 am and he seemed to be coping quite well when I picked him up at 12:30.  It was a day surgery (hernia repair) and since he had it done at the QEH, I think they were taking special care of him :)

This weekend, we're thinking about checking out The Cider Festival.  It sounds pretty good:

SHE'LL be apples - and pears as well - when the first The Orchard Cider Festival takes over Hindmarsh Square this Saturday.
Live music and food vans will accompany an array of cider sellers for the festival, run by mobile cocktail bar operators Dan Melia and Nicky Stuut.
Do you have a favourite cider? Tell us below.
"The vibe is going to be quite chilled out, picnic blanket style," Mr Melia said.
"We'd love to get 1000 people through."
Eight bands and solo performers will play "low key" music through the day while cider lovers relax on picnic rugs and seats provided, Mr Melia said.
Gilding, Sean Kemp, Samantha Edge, Hi Speed Life, Iron Empire and Mr Goodnight will be among the local performers.
The range of ciders will include Hills Cider, Pipsqueak, Aussie Cider, James Squire and Applelation.
Mr Melia said there was no need for non-cider fans to worry because Spook Hill Wines would have a stand.
He will also have one of his VW Bars Kombi van cocktail bars running through the day.
Mobile vendors Chimichurri Grill, Delectaballs, Wienerbago, Party In A Box, Street Food and GAN Taiwanese Chicken Nuggets will be on hand to balance the sweet ciders with some savoury munchies.
Mr Melia said entry would be free to draw the biggest crowd possible and hoped to attract everyone from "18 to 88 year olds".
The festival is supported by Splash Adelaide and will run from noon-8pm.

Cider really has taken off as a trend since we moved here.  I remember 5 years ago when we were saddened at the utter lack of cider options.  Now, they're endless! Anyhow, we'll see how Jeremy is feeling and make our decision on the day.  He's thinking a couple days of resting and movie marathons will help with his recovery!

6 comments:

  1. And there I am, creepily in the corner! ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I didn't even notice the cat or Jeremy at first!!

    Looks like the ultimate relaxation place.

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallelujah, comments!!!!

    Hopefully it will keep getting minor upgrades :)

    You should come spend some time here yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see kitty but not Jeremy!
    NICE Cozy backyard!!!
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I love the lights! And I was not disappointed to see the "sneaky orange cat."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mum - Jeremy's in the window where it's lit up, to the right.

    Yvette - nice to meet a fellow cat lover...we have two very cute boys :)

    ReplyDelete