Saturday, January 18, 2014

Feelin' hot hot hot!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-16/heatwave-brings-record-temperatures-blackouts-and-health-dangers/5202886

So we've just come through five days in a row of temperatures over 40 degrees...and survived!  Air conditioning is key.  We also spend a lot of evenings sitting in the pool - which basically was bath water temperature, but still had a cooling effect.

Last night, we were invited for a board games night.  At a recent event, we met this adorable Swiss medical student who is doing an elective at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.  She is house sitting while she stays in Adelaide.  We arrived at the address given only to find a mansion directly on the beach...not too shabby!  Turns out that it belongs to the head of surgery at the QEH.  Fancy that!  We walked out the back door onto the beach, which was wavier than usual.  Jeremy had a great time body surfing and I enjoyed just playing around in the waves.  I brought my newest board game: Telestrations.  So much laughing!  I highly recommend this game.  How does 'milky way' turn into 'traveling harmonica' and then 'Canadian barn'???  Rats chase the mail man???  Looking forward to the next time I get to play.  The power went out in the middle of our games (there was a rapid temperature decrease and crazy lightning storms happening) but not to worry, everyone just whipped out their phones and turned the flashlights on!  There are some incredible pictures of the lightning being posted (which we were treated to a panoramic view of through the huge windows of the beach house).  Here's one from the Adelaide Advertiser:



Today is gorgeous - a much more manageable 30 degrees.  I think it would be the perfect day for a trip to one of the surf beaches, but Jeremy is at a training session today for his GP program (on a Saturday??  He's not all that impressed!)

Also, I don't know if I even mentioned that he has officially finished his intern year!  All of the hospitals in Adelaide hold a 'valete' which is something I had not previously heard of.  Valete: a farewell or goodbye addressed to more than one person.  The QEH had their 'valete' at the Adelaide Museum in the mammal gallery.  The dinner was yummy...a prawn entree and then a choice of duck breast or chicken breast stuffed with deliciousness for the main, and a dessert buffet (with candy apples, macarons, and a Lindt chocolate fountain).  The now 'graduated' interns had voted on various awards for their cohort, such as "Best Beard" (Jeremy came in second, but lost to a Sikh, so I think he understood!), "Best Dressed" (our friend MJ was granted this honour partially related to her affinity for wearing Hunter boots at work...Hunter boots = very expensive rain boots.  Baffling).  There were awards for the intern who cried the most, the intern who complained the most, the most loved male and female interns, and of course...the illustrious "Golden Speculum" award (the intern who hooked up with the most hospital staff).  Nelson, one of the emcees for the evening, was the winner of the Golden Speculum and he handled it very well, stating that yes, it was true, and he's very happy because it led him to his current partner  (a gorgeous nurse named Leah).  Jeremy actually did win an award - quite an interesting one - but I'll let him tell people about that in person.  It was a fun night and when it wrapped up, we headed home while the 25 year olds went and got crazy at the after party (ugh, we're 'those people' now...the ones who never ever ever go to the after party).  

We were spoiled the next night as well.  One of the orthopaedic surgery registrars wanted to take Jeremy and the other interns who had just finished out that rotation out for dinner and I got to tag along.  We met up at Silk and Spice, a yummy Thai restaurant.  It ended up being Jeremy, myself, Tom (another intern) and Gayle (the registrar).  She was an incredible lady - so welcoming and friendly, and clearly had a good relationship with Jeremy and Tom.  All the dishes were so tasty...I will definitely be eating there again!

We just keep meeting such wonderful people.  One of them, my friend Claire, has now headed off to Melbourne to pursue her dreams of becoming a paediatric cardio-thoracic surgeon (OMG).  I will miss her a lot...and I guess that is one of the issues with this sort of lifestyle.  You meet these fantastic people...and then you have to say goodbye.  But it gives us a good excuse for more travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment