Jeremy and I arrived at the Royal Kona Resort on Tuesday Dec 2nd, the first of our group. I instantly fell in love with Kona. I had never been to any other place in Hawaii, e.g. Honolulu, Maui, etc...but Kona just seemed like the perfect destination. Small, laid back, and the perfect place for Ro and Adam to tie the knot. J and I interspersed napping with walking around and exploring the town. We shopped and ate amazing American food.
Our first American meal - I got coconut shrimp, Jeremy got a sandwich, and we got nachos to share. So much food. He is incredibly happy!
This is the view from our room at the resort. We got to fall asleep to the sounds of waves crashing. We had initially booked the 'volcano view' room but we were persuaded to upgrade to an ocean view and it was totally worth it. The girl at the check in also insisted that it was our 'honeymoon' even though we told her we had been married for six years and we were here for my brother's wedding. She wrote down on some paper that we were honeymooners and we had free champagne sent up to the room.
The front of the Royal Kona Resort. Loved all the colours and lushness of everything.
This is pretty self explanatory - quintessential Hawaii: palm trees, ocean, sunset viewed from a restaurant balcony.
Here I am wearing my 'Hawaiian' shirt that was actually purchased in Canada. Tracee and I had a lucky moment in Winners when we found the perfect shirt for Ro and Adam's bachelor party. Obviously the shirt was meant for Hawaii, so I had to bring it along. I was hoping to get a drink served in either a pineapple or a coconut, but settled for this pina colada with an umbrella and a mermaid.
The main drag of Kona. You can kind of see a sign for 'Bongo Ben's' which became our favourite breakfast place.
Probably unwise to pose under a palm tree that has a warning: "Watch for falling coconuts".
Museum in Kona.
We got to wear these glamourous glasses on our tour of the Kona Brewing Co. Their pub also makes the most excellent pizza!
Back at the resort. I thought this was a pretty cool shot of Jeremy in his tourist duds.
We had a couple of days to ourselves, but were anxiously awaiting the arrival of Adam and Ronan. Unfortunately, their flight kept getting delayed until they weren't going to be getting into town until 3 am, so we didn't have the initial reunion we expected. We ended up finding each other in the lobby of the resort, and had a great night of laughing, hugging, and even crying. The rest of the group trickled in over the next couple of days, and we headed to the most gorgeous accommodation booked by Ro and Adam for our group - Homes over Kona. Obviously the wedding deserves a post of its own...so stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment