Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How amazing/stressful/crazy was that hockey game???

I watched it at 6:30 am in a bar with about 200 other Canadians. It was a sea of red and white. I was actually wearing blue (the Vancouver 2010 Olympics shirt I got from Hayley and Lance). The atmosphere was pretty jolly until the last 25 seconds of the game when I'm sure there was a collective $%&! from Canadians far and wide. Some of our Aussie friends were there watching it too and they were so cute! Jess texted me because we were a bit late and she said "The first quarter was awesome!" Hehehe. We explained what power plays and icing were. All the Aussies there were totally going for Canada and they all felt like honorary Canadians and were so happy when we won.

Semester 1 has officially begun. The hockey game only made me 5 minutes late for class which was pretty impressive. Class was useless, just going through some websites and explaining how to click on things....hm. Helpful. For anyone who cares, I passed Anatomy which is the most difficult thing I've EVER done, school-wise. I even got a 6! The grade scale here is from 1 to 7 and I don't really understand it, but I was hoping for a 4 in that class so I was shocked and happy to see a lovely 6 staring at me from the computer screen.

I was in Melbourne with a friend from class last week and we made a pact not to check our marks while we were on holidays so that failing Anatomy wouldn't ruin our trip. MELBOURNE IS AMAZING. I am so jumping on the Melbs bandwagon. All the Australians rave about it and now I see why. BEST CITY EVER. So many free things! So many awesome things! We didn't do the great ocean road or the 12 apostles. This was a city visit. We spent one night in St Kilda and wandered along the beach. The next two nights we stayed right smack in the middle of the city at a hostel called the Exford Hotel. It was fabulous. It was kind of grungy, but in a good way. Old, but very clean. Staff were just wonderful. We wandered around Melbourne for 2 days and every time we stopped for a sec to look at our map, a super helpful Melbournian (is that what they're called?) would ask if we needed help and then tell us some really cool secret place to go to. I swear, it happed at least five times!! The people are just so so soooooooooooo fab! We also met up with a friend that we met when Tracee was here and we were in Sydney. He took us to a secret dumpling restaurant that had incredibly tasty food. We did lots of walking and spent our fair share of time on the free hop on hop off tourist shuttle. Bought Jeremy some spicy salami at the Victoria St Markets. Watched some Olympics on the big screen in federation square. Marvelled constantly at the gorgeous weather and how we actually weren't all gross and sweaty. Amelia and I both definitely fell in love with the place. Anyone who visits me must now go to Melbourne - it is essential!

No comments:

Post a Comment