Since Saturday, I've been in Auckland by myself and Jeremy flew back to Brisbane. I'm staying in a 4 bed room at the Queen St Backpackers downtown. It's a really good location and I've done tons of walking around in the time I've been here. That being said - I can't WAIT to get out of it. I'm paid up until Sunday, which is a shame, because I've found another cheaper place to stay on the North Shore (which is where I need to be for my placement...argh!) I just hadn't been able to find anything and thought better safe than sorry...but now I'm sorry anyway! There's just something weird about sharing a room with three other people...So far I've had:
- a Norwegian girl on a working holiday visa who has been living the hostel life since Nov when she arrived, but just this morning moved out to her own place
- A German girl who got here the same day as me but has already moved on to Wellington
- a lady in her 50s who is "between flats" aka homeless and had all her possessions in a couple of big plastic bags
They are all gone now, but just as I was leaving to go on a walk this afternoon a blonde European sounding girl came in. She ran right out to "get her bags" but wasn't back in the time till I left, so we haven't really met yet.
Today was a gorgeous day (every day here has been sunny and beautiful so far and the perrrrfect temperature - not humid!!) and I decided to have a look at Mission Bay, one of the apparently famous beaches. It was lovely, but not my type of beach, for swimming at least. The water temperature was excellent, but it was really shallow with lots of toddlers/families running around. Not such a great swimming place for me, but good for people watching and reading, which is what I did!
I just came from watching a massive cruise ship leave the port. I was in the middle of the city, and kept hearing these giant whistle/horn blasts that actually vibrated everything around me, so I went to check it out. It was pretty cool - a lot of people were gathered around just watching it leave.
Tomorrow is my last free day of the week, then on Wed I have my orientation and Thurs & Fri I'll be running the aphasia groups at Massey Uni!! Eeeep...then on Sunday I get to move from the hostel to a place where I'll have my own room, and it's even $4 cheaper for the week and overlooks Mairangi Bay :)
No comments:
Post a Comment