So throughout my degree I've been adamant that I want to work with adults, not kids, but i'm slowly changing my mind. I wasn't looking forward to this prac - it's over an hour away on public transit (would have been almost two hours, but Translink switched a bus route in June and made my life a zillion times easier) and with kids, but I must admit that I'm actually enjoying it! This is my fourth week and I'm getting into a routine, more used to the kids, more easily able to come up with activities, etc. I have a group of four grade 5s that is a bit behaviourally challenging, but other than that all the other kids are absolute angels and really cute. I've been doing a lot of articulation work, pronouns, language and literacy. It's actually really fun, and the kids are so happy when they're being praised and getting things right and they try so hard! I was telling my CE that I'd be happy to work for Ed QLD and that it's kind of funny because I always thought I only wanted to work with adults, and she said "You're great with the kids!" Haha. I do keep hearing that, so I suppose it must be true :) That doesn't mean I definitely want to work with kids - I'd still jump at the chance to work in a hospital, but I guess now I know that there are quite a few avenues I could take and still be happy, which is very comforting! I'm so lucky to have found this career...I think I will love it for a very long time.
What else? Well, Jeremy and I have been working every weekend since I've been home. Getting paid $23/hr to sit and read is pretty fantastic. Next weekend we're working at the Gold Coast stadium - the Metricon. We thought since it's our anniversary soon, we'd pick up an extra shift down at the GC and use that money to stay overnight at the beach. This week is also the week of the Ekka Holiday, that random Wednesday holiday that happens every August. no complaints from me - Wed is my longest day at "uni" and I'm happy to miss it!!! My research group is doing pretty well but we have NO IDEA how to run that stats program to analyze our data and do a whole bunch of repeated measures ANOVAs. We took a whole class on it, but it honestly makes no sense...it's like we have to magically know what random gibberish to type into various boxes to make it spit out data. We are seriously clueless. Our advisor said "No problem, it'll be quick". Yeah right. I realize she probably hasn't actually used this program before, just gets the department's statistician or her students to do it...she has no clue how confusing this thing is!! Have to figure it out soon though...
One last thing, some youtube links which talk about Williams Syndrome, a fascinating genetic disorder. I'm really interested in my children with special needs class...lots to learn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qAxdWSgqrc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUlJ9g0KK4&NR=1
No comments:
Post a Comment