
Goodbyes. They are a constant through life, especially if you choose a lifestyle where you are uprooting yourself often. It's all very exciting to be starting my new job, but at the moment I'm really trying to wrap my head around all the changes that are going on.
When you graduate with a class of ~25 people, it's kind of a given that you will become close to most of them. All of a sudden, everything is different. People are moving to start their own careers. I dropped Hayley off at the airport this morning. She's heading back to Vancouver and is really struggling with it. Lisa is arriving from Ottawa tomorrow and heading up to her job in Hervey Bay in a week. Kim has already left to get her and Lisa's house ready and started her Ed Qld job up north. Nicole is off to Tasmania to look at places in Hobart and find something for when she moves there permanently for her job in the rehab unit of the Royal Hobart Hospital. Nicky went up to Townsville (would never want to do that in a zillion years - watch this be where J and I end up!!) and has been working for about a month already. Alyce went back to South Australia. Alyssa is in Emerald, a mining town about a 14 hour drive away. Alizah and Rach got a place together in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast. Others have returned home (e.g. Hong Kong) or moved down the coast (e.g. to the Gold Coast). So really, everyone has scattered. We were all each other's support systems and I hope we'll be in touch to help each other out with resources and clinical questions. I really am quite lucky to have found a job in Brisbane - I would have been open to going somewhere else but there is the small matter of Jeremy and it's much better to be living together full time.
There are still friends left, though. Although most of my class is gone, I have my amazing med friends who have been there for me since my first year here. Obviously Jeremy and I have each other. I have friends who I got to know through working at SpeechNet. I will meet more people at my Ed Qld job. Life will progress, shifting and shaping into a new routine, and it will be good. some of my old friends, I will never see again (Tuna) but I think that I will keep in touch with many of the people I've met through this class. This time next year will be even more crazy - we literally have NO IDEA where we'll end up at all! It's fun though...nothing holding us back from doing whatever and going wherever. It's all really a big adventure, isn't it?
Congrats on graduating!
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for internets to keep in the know with people you've met! ;)