It's kind of funny to look at the 30 day forecast and see there is a high chance of rain EVERY SINGLE DAY. Wtf, brisbane summer! Seriously, drought shmought!
There was a break in the rain for Australia Day, which was this past Thursday. We were good little fake Aussies and rode our bikes to a friend's place for a BBQ feast. It was slightly idiotic to ride our bikes on a very hot and extremely humid day. Our friend ended up collapsing on the lawn dry heaving when we got there. She pulled through and was fine in a few minutes, but yeah...it was pretty dumb. I then proceeded to be sweaty and gross for the whole time we were there, about three hours. We were inside an air-conditioned house, but there were about 20 people and the a/c just couldn't cope!! So yes - we did the traditional Australia Day thing, which is to have a BBQ and listen to Triple J's Hottest 100.
The Triple J Hottest 100 is an annual music poll, based on the votes of national Australian radio station Triple J listeners, in order to determine their favourite song of the year. Voting is conducted by the internet and begins roughly two weeks prior to the new year for the previous year's songs. The 100 most popular songs are then counted down on Australia Day weekend – usually Australia Day itself, 26 January.[1]
Last night was a going away dinner for Lisa and Nicole. We had duck curry served in a pineapple! It was also a med keg, which we opted out of but met up with people afterwards. I finally got to meet a random Facebook friend. My friend Nick (who some may remember as the man of honour at my wedding) sent me a message saying his friend Ian was heading to Brisbane to start med school so we added each other on Facebook. I was sitting at a table outside and saw a guy who looked vaguely familiar and lo and behold - it was Ian!
Hmmm...what else? This is a bit rambly. Well, I had my first week of work as a speech pathologist. Friday was my first meeting with a school contact person, a principal at one of my high schools. I think I managed to not look too moronic, which is a positive thing!! Monday is a big day - I meet with people and my two big primary schools. I had a hand over for one of them Friday morning and there are soooo many files and things to deal with!! Eeek. Crossing my fingers that it all goes well. Jeremy wrote an exam yesterday for ophthalmology surgery, so he's already ticking things off his list! He starts neurosurgery on Monday, which sounds pretty intense! Anyway...that's us in a nut shell. Plugging away, employed/working hard at uni, getting soaked in the stupid rain!
Wow! Guess Australia was sad to see us go!!
ReplyDeleteLove you, Guess who??