Monday, March 5, 2012

Chili and cars and such

Why chili? I'm just whipping up a batch of it right now. It's a delicious and colourful way to get TONS of veggies! (or as the Aussies would spell it, 'vegies'...right there along with tyres, etc). Spinach, corn, red and green 'capsicum', carrots, onion, garlic, chilies...and loooooooots of kidney beans. Yum! Wow, what is with my enthusiasm for chili at the moment? Probably the lovely smell wafting in from the kitchen :)

In order to be an Education Queensland speechie, you NEED a car. I always thought this, and last week it was verified when the car needed to go into the shop for a few days. It was massive stress. Ended up renting a car, because it is fairly impossible to get from my house to my "base" then to my school for the day (which is anywhere between 10 and 20 kms from my base) then back to base and home in a reasonable amount of time. EQ does not take kindly to paying people for sitting on a bus for half the day.

Driving...in Australia. I'm getting better at it. I don't really have to think about what side to turn onto anymore and roundabouts are much less scary. I like driving by myself; it's kind of relaxing...except when there are crazy people in red cars following right on my tail, like today, even though I was going over the speed limit. A crazy road rage incident occurred yesterday at the Gold Coast, so even though I may have wanted to do rude things...I refrained (and fine, even with out reported road rage incident, I still wouldn't have done anything rude). See road rage story below...I saw the car on the news and it was completely smashed and wrecked!

A ROAD rage incident on the Gold Coast yesterday has left a 60-year-old man in hospital after being hit in the head with a bottle.

Two cars were involved in the altercation which began on Smith St at Helensvale at 10.30am and escalated into a high-speed chase down the Pacific Highway.

It is believed a passenger from one car threw a glass bottle which hit the 60-year-old man in the head, causing him to lose control of his car.

The Ford Explorer spun out of control before hitting a road barrier.

The male driver, who was the only occupant in the vehicle, escaped the crash with minor bruising and cuts.

Police are seeking information from anyone who may have witnessed any part of the incident.

Pretty scary eh? Hm, speaking of the word 'eh' I've had more than my fair share of people make fun of me lately when I say the words "out" and "about". I do NOT say oot and aboot, dammit! I know that I don't...it's a vowel vs a dipthong, everyone knows that :P

What else...it's week 7 of a 10 week term. During week 10, my first three days are taken up by statewide induction (which is very conveniently just down the road from my house, basically...one train stop away), the fourth day is a full day regional meeting, and Friday is a base day, so it's ALMOST like having a...kind of...vacation, since I don't have to be in schools. Then the kids have two weeks of for Easter holidays...lucky them. I stupidly thought I would also have this time off...NOT the case!! I can take rec leave if I want, but I'm saving that for later in the year. I obviously get the Good Friday and Easter Monday holidays (and will be in Hervey Bay that weekend, wooooo!) but that's it. What I will probably do is take an extra day or two of ADO - I think it maybe stands for accumulated days off? Hmmmm...yeah who knows, I work in a world of acronyms...HOSES, StLANS, etc etc. I accrue ADO every pay period. When I fill in my time sheet every two weeks, if I work any time over the nececcary 7.15 hours in a day (with an unpaid 30 min lunch break...yeah seriously...unpaid) that time goes into a bank. You cannot get paid out for this time, but you CAN take it to extend holidays. So yay, I'm sure you're all very excited to know how that works! I'm hoping to have at least two extra days off...and then next term is a term of awesomeness because it's filled with public holidays!!!

So, waiting for Jeremy to get home so we can eat chili. He just finished his test for rotation 1 and the rest of the week will be going to tutorials. Then, the lucky bugger gets a whole week vacation next week. So. insanely. jealous. After that, it's on to rotation 2 - Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Mater hospital...isn't he lucky!

1 comment:

  1. Yea Australeana!
    You are the 2nd best.
    Mom is the best!
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete