Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's still strange to think that we're in year 4 of this epic Australian adventure.  Today we were walking along and saw a hugely tall palm tree - and exclaimed over it.  So there's still that...every so often, we still go "WOW!!"  Although I think we'd probably do the same thing in Canada if we saw a massive, beautiful tree. 

Today was our fourth ANZAC day.  We didn't go to the dawn ceremony (once was enough...maybe we'll re-visit it again if we're here long enough) but we DID meet up with friends today for a friendly game of lawn bowls. 

Bowls (also lawn bowls, variants include flat-green bowls and crown-green bowls) is a sport in which the objective is to roll biased balls so that they stop close to a smaller ball called a "jack" or "kitty". It is played on a pitch which may be flat (for "flat-green bowls") or convex or uneven (for "crown-green bowls"). It is normally played outdoors although there are some indoor venues and the surface is either natural grass, artificial turf, or cotula (in New Zealand).
It is popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Hong Kong and parts of the United States and more recently in Japan. It belongs to the boules game family and is related to bocce and pétanque.

I have probably posted about lawn bowls before, but honestly...no one is actually going to go check - so there! In Australia, it is popular with all ages while in Canada I believe a slightly older crowd are the preferred lawn bowlers.  J and I were a team and we most certainly did not win, but we had a great time.  I feel like it was an appropriate ANZAC day activity.  Missed out on Anzac cookies, though.

There's something just so odd about a holiday in the middle of the week, but seriously?  I'll take it!!  We have another one coming up in August, but first we have Labour Day (in the next couple of weeks) and then Queen's Jubilee.  I love this time of year...great weather, and so many random holidays...which I NOW get paid for!!!  Extreme excellence.

This weekend we head to Caloundra.  Incredibly cheap accommodation...online deal...king size bed and spa bath...right by the ocean...drinks on arrival.  Does it get any better?  Jeremy is waffling about taking part in his third ocean swim, but either way, a beach weekend sounds magnificent to me!

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to be you, Love.
    Enjoy the little wonders of life (the big palm tree).
    Your biggest fan! - Austraileana
    Love Dad
    PS - Keep doing this bloVEg

    ReplyDelete