Friday, June 29, 2012

I don't think I would be a very good 'lady of leisure'.  It's my first day of holidays (which, don't get me wrong, is fantastic) and I've had breakfast with a friend, hit the gym, returned some library books and dropped Jeremy off at the hospital and now I'm wondering what to do with myself.  I have a good stack of books just waiting for me to get my hands on them, which is excellent!  I also need to go to Officeworks (aka Australian Staples) and look for a 'Pak 'n Roll' (since I destroyed the one EQ bought me in two terms) and possibly a laser pointer for the cats. 

The weather couldn't be better!  After a week of miserable dreary non-stop rain, it cleared up just in time for my day off!  I worked from a different building on Wed and Thurs this week since all the other speechies at my base were away and they don't like us working alone on the holidays.  It was so luxurious!!  It actually had...get this...HEAT!  Wow.  Spoiled rotten now!  I had no distractions and managed to get a ton of stuff good, which is good, but it still feels like there's so much more.  I have this problem where I did a bunch of speech language screenings last term.  So teachers referred students to me who they thought might have some difficulties and I tested them.  Teachers are pretty good at picking up that kind of stuff, so basically 95% of the kids I screened would benefit from some speech therapy.  However, at all of my schools I already HAVE  a caseload, so this new influx of screening kids means i have to juggle everything around and find space for everyone.  My problem is that I need to advise on who gets speech tx and who doesn't, but I am terrible at saying no and not giving a student my services.  Ultimately, the school can agree or disagree and they have the final say, but I find myself just trying to fit everyone in and that's going to make for a crazy Term 3.  Aggggh.  Alright, enough work talk.

Hmmmmm...what else?  Well, Nicole flew up from Tassie last night and she's here for awhile, getting ready for her wedding on the 7th of July.  Jeremy has booked his flight to Canada and will be gone for two months, leaving on the 18th of July.  That will be pretty weird!  We were hoping to make it to Melbourne this weekend - Jeremy has an interview with a hospital there and it would have been good to do it in person but the flight prices were very high and we couldn't find any deals that would help us justify going.  so, we did the responsible thing and now he has a phone interview tomorrow.  Sigh.  I love Melbourne and it's been so long!  Seriously though, sometimes you can get flights for $80 round trip but this weekend it would have been about $400 each and that is just way too much. 

If you've been reading this blog for the last couple of years, you may remember that my favourite day ever is Canada Day.  This time last year I was actually IN Canada, visiting with Gran, Seamus and Frank and getting ready to surprise my mum at Ro's Canada day BBQ.  This year will definitely NOT be as exciting, but some friends are coming over Sunday morning and we're going to attempt to make beaver tails and poutine for lunch.  Horrendously unhealthy, yes, but...it's Canada Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment