Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pain

*skip this if you don't want to read about annoying medical issues*

Australia, why do you hurt me?

I've spent the last 6 weeks or so whining about being in constant pain. I've never experienced that before...you know, wondering if you'll ever NOT be in pain again? It was/is decidedly unpleasant.

This pain started during exams, and since my body and stress responses have always tended to be a bit crazy, I forgot that I had been in a car accident and thought it was weird stress pain. It was different than my usual stress reactions though and was keeping me up pretty much every night. I would call Jeremy at 4 am Australia time when he was in Canada and make him sad because I was so upset and hurting. As soon as exams were done, I went to the doctor, which led to an annoying progression:

Doctor->get x-ray->go back to doctor to have x-ray/report read->red herring anterolisthesis shown on x-ray which probably was present at birth - I just never had cause to get an x-ray before->get put on Nurafen Plus (ibuprofen + codeine), does nothing->Start taking amitryptiline (didn't spell that right, I'm sure) a tri-cyclic antidepressant which isn't actually used for depression any more due to the side effects but can be prescribed for nerve pain->pain doesn't actually go away->intensifies while trying to have fun in Melbourne, try to be stoic but fail->back to doctor (a DIFFERENT doctor, freakin school clinics)->doctor still doesn't know...

So this morning, Jeremy had a brilliant idea - Let's go see Dr Ebert! I don't know why neither of us thought of it before. Jeremy did one of his placements last year with Dr Ebert and they got on quite well. His clinic is just down the street from us and let's face it, doctors tend to be more helpful when they actually know you. So finally I think my problem is at least somewhat helped or at least diagnosed: WHIPLASH from that stupid accident...so pretty much I probably have some torn muscles/ligaments in that area and it can take up to 6 months to heal. Argh. He recommended heat, massage, and finally I have some meds that actually relate to the condition: muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medication. He saw us right away (we actually went at the best possible time) and his rates are totally reasonable, almost unbelievably so.

So obviously I don't feel fantastic at the moment, but at least now I can hope for some improvement!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow just caught myself up on your blog, there was a lot to read. Sounds like you guys had such a fantastic time. I bet Crystal is glad she went now, it's such an amazing trip, and having great hosts like you guys is really what makes it!

    Sorry to hear about the pain though, but glad you have a doctor who sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It's Amitriptyline, but you were pretty darn close! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably could have written a few more lengthy posts on Melbourne but pain triumphed and besides, you and Crystal are already planning MELBS 2012, right?

    Thanks for the correct spelling. Things like that irk me...I suppose I could have looked it up and whatnot but I prefer having it told to me by an authentic RN!!!!!!!!! xox

    ReplyDelete