Monday, November 14, 2011

Need Advice/Opinions

I've been seeing flyers around the neighbourhood and I picked one up and read about it and I really want to do it. The Rio Tinto Ride to Conquer Cancer - it's a 200 km bike ride in Queensland to (obviously) raise money for cancer research. They did it last year and made $4.1 million or something along those lines. The ride starts in St Lucia (where UQ is) and you ride to the Wivenhoe Dam (~100 km from Brisbane), camp for the night, and then ride back the next day. For some reason, I just really feel like I should do this...it's kind of like a personal goal tied in with a charitable cause. I was at the doctor the other day filling in my family hx and it was kind of shocking really - colon cancer, leukemia, breast cancer. Family members and friends are fighting/have fought cancer. I will be working in health care, perhaps in the head and neck cancer area, treating patients who are dealing with the effects of cancer. I worked for awhile at the Women's Breast Health Centre.

It's in August 2012, 9-10ish months away and I need to raise $2500. They have all sorts of support to help you with fundraising ideas when you join. It's a daunting amount, but I don't want to let it scare me away. What is raising a couple thousand dollars compared with enduring radiation and chemo treatments for weeks/months?

Anyway - anyone reading this - what do you think? Can I do it? Or is it just a silly idea? Am I setting myself up for disappointment/failure or is this something I can achieve and be proud of?

4 comments:

  1. Lana, you can do it!!! We will donate!
    Love you,\
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it! My friend raised $2500 in 4 months for a walk in ottawa!

    Good luck! Love you!
    Ronan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you CAN do it and you already said you feel like it's something you SHOULD do. So do it! Adam (boyfriend) and I will definitely donate.

    Good luck!
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can put me down for a donation! I see the effects of cancer far too often in my profession, and when it's kids it's that much worse. My dad beat oral cancer, but is left with the effects of the disfiguring surgery as a daily reminder of his fight. If it wasn't for amazing speechies like you he would be much worse off.

    You can do it. Everyone has been effected by cancer in some way, and I'm sure you will find you can reach $2500 and then some in no time!

    ReplyDelete