Tuesday, January 1, 2013

So here we are - 2013!  Past the 'apocalypse' and whatnot - Jeremy and I were on a plane at the time; that could have been interesting!!

Yesterday evening we returned from a wonderful trip around Tasmania.  We were so lucky to be able to take that trip and we enjoyed almost every single moment of it.  I'll go much more into detail about the trip in later posts, but first I just want to talk about some news we received during the trip that upset us both.

Our friend Naomi, who has been battling cancer for almost two years, passed away at the General Hospital in Ottawa on Christmas day.  She had just gotten married at the end of November and celebrated her 40th birthday in October.  She did a lot of exciting things during her life and had several interests which she actively pursued.  As we were packing our things today, I took down the card she gave to us on New Year's Eve 2008/2009.  We were about to leave for Australia and she made a big Australia themed card encouraging us to make the most of our time and embrace any adventure which came our way.  She passed it around to our friends who were celebrating with us that night and they all signed it. It's just really meaningful - it captures a moment in time, and it was such a thoughtful gesture.  Since we've been in Australia, that card has been displayed on various bookshelves.  It's something I intended to always take with us, wherever we ended up.  So thank you, Naomi.  I always thought you would make it out here one day and wish with all my heart that it could have happened and you could have been part of some of those adventures.  Rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment