One of our favourite places to go in Ottawa was DiRienzo's. They make a mean sandwich for an amazing price. A couple of weekends ago, Jeremy recreated a DiRienzo's sandwich with ingredients from our local continental deli. It was incredible.
DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE????? I can hardly believe my eyes. I joined a 'Canadians in Adelaide' group on Facebook and was rewarded handsomely with some insider information about where to procure REAL cheese curds. This morning, I dropped poor Jeremy off at the hospital (10 hour cover shift on a Sunday, smack in the middle of a long weekend) and then merrily made my way to a farmer's market where I picked up these babies! Rest assured that I have sampled them, and they do in fact squeak in your teeth.
I bought this chili plant at the Central Markets on Australia Day (end of Jan) and have managed to keep it alive ever since!! The light greenish peppers are new - it started flowering and I was pretty ecstatic when I saw new peppers coming through! Jeremy has a little herb garden in the back yard, with basil, parsley, coriander, and something else. Our neighbour is an avid gardener and he gave me three eggplants from his garden yesterday. I was also amazed to find out that he makes his own wine. Not the 'make your own wine' where you go into a store and pour concentrate into a thingy and then come back and fill your bottles a few weeks later. No - he goes and gets grapes out in the Barossa, and then goes through the whole process. He showed me his wine brewing shed and he has everything - a grape crusher, a giant vat, a thingy to measure alcohol content, kegs, flagons, etc etc etc. I was super impressed.
Gotta run - skating date with Claire!
What?? He doesn't crush the grapes by stomping on them?? LOL
ReplyDeleteLove ya lots "Always,
Mum
Mmm, DiRienzo's. I remember making special trips in between classes just to have these. And I cannot believe you found cheese curds, my partner and I have been craving poutine for ages and can't find curds them in Brisbane!
ReplyDelete