Here's a disclaimer: I'm going to
be talking about some personal stuff in this entry so feel free to skip it if
it makes you uncomfortable. I've debated with myself whether or not I
should post this at all, but I think in my personal blog I can choose what I
information I share or keep to myself.
To begin, there are a couple of reasons why I decided to post this. One,
we heard recently that an acquaintance from Ottawa (who J and I used to be
closer with, about 7 years ago, but who distanced himself from us) passed away
a couple of days ago. Upon reading the obituary, there was no cause of
death mentioned. He was 31 years old. I know that this person
suffered from depression and anxiety. I have no idea what happened and I
imagine details will start to emerge over the next little while. My
thoughts and love go out to his family and friends. He was a hilarious
guy who knew how to have a good time. Today I attended a full day course
which was required for some volunteer work I have started. The course was
called "Responding to Child Abuse and Neglect". One of the
sections discussed something called 'the rule of optimism' which can lead to
people making excuses and always trying to think the best of the situation when
they see indications that a child may be in danger of abuse or neglect. I
think that this 'rule of optimism' can also apply to how we view others around
us, whether they are family members, friends, co-workers, etc and sometimes
it's important to get past this rule of optimism and see if there really is
something wrong.
It's not a new concept that mental health has a stigma attached to it, although
people have started to try and turn this around. With the amount of
people who suffer from some sort of mental health issue, it's important that
people understand and take action if it is needed. I have dealt with
anxiety issues probably for most of my life, although they became much worse in
my last couple of years of high school. I had physical manifestations,
such as tension headaches, feeling unable to breathe properly, and once I even
broke out in hives until I decided to remove the stressor from my life. I
went to our GP once around this time, and was told that I was stressed out and
was prescribed massage therapy, which our insurance didn't cover, and I didn't
follow it up again for several years. It is something that is generally
there, sometimes low lying, other times excruciating. At the worst times,
I feel like I can't get a proper breath in, I feel panicked and I actually have
physical pain in my chest/stomach. This makes it really hard to sleep and
even when I'm doing something really fun with friends, it's hard to enjoy
myself with this happening. I finally consulted another GP at the
beginning of 2012 and got some help, which has made my life much better.
People who know me - as the readers of this blog do - often describe me as fun,
outgoing, happy, friendly, etc. I was willing to move across the world,
try something new, I have a great life, an amazing career, a happy relationship
and fantastic friends/family. Jeremy has been really supportive and
encouraging in trying to help. I guess what I'm trying to say is that
sometimes it's hard to tell that something is wrong and it's hard to explain
why, as well. I don't know why I'm affected by anxiety - genetics,
environment, personality, predisposition, brain chemistry? It's anyone's
guess. I have been hearing a lot lately
about lasting effects of bullying into adulthood and although I was lucky
enough to escape bullying for much of my life, I had a terrible year in grade
7. I was an innocent little country girl
and I’m not sure why that was so offensive, but among other things one day
after I came back to the change room from gym class, someone had written a note
and put it with my clothes which said; “Die bitch die”. It was a relief to move to a new town in
grade 9 and find some wonderful friends, many who I am still close to.
So...I'm not sure what my message really is here. I guess I'm sharing
this because I want to say that I'm not ashamed and don't think it's something
to be hidden behind closed doors. It's something that I think almost
everyone will have an encounter with in their life, whether they experience it
personally or know someone who does and acting like it's a shameful secret
propagates negative stigma. Anyhow, that's about it. It was just
something that was on my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment