An Australian milestone has occurred! I can now say that I've driven in Australia, on the "wrong" side of the road. All cars and people involved are fine and dandy. Lisa came with me and acted as my navigator/de-stresser. We went to Sunnybank, a suburb about 25 minutes away from Fairfield, to have a look at an Asian super market. We left at about 3:15 pm on Friday, so not quite rush hour, but the way home definitely WAS. The only really stressful parts were at one point, a random bridge appearing that looked like it was going to turn into a highway on-ramp...so we took a slight detour only to realize that the bridge thingy was bypassing a very confusing intersection. Oh well. The second thing was that on the way home, right near my house there's a two lane roundabout which is normally fine, but REALLY SCARY during rush hour. You just have to wait for the constant flow of cars to break for a sec and then zoom in. I was a little panicky as I imagined the people behind me wanted to murder me, but real Australian drivers don't like that roundabout either, so it's okay!
My weekend was BUSY! Friday night had a girl's night in with Jen and Jess. Made some food and watched a movie, quite enjoyable. Got up EARLY on Saturday to get the train to the gold Coast (still wasn't completely confident about driving there) to go to the Currumbin Green Challenge with Lisa and Amelia. It was very similar to Lafleche Aerial Park in Gatineau. I have bruises on my arms from some of the various parts of the course and there was one crazy rope thing that almost defeated me, but it was lots of fun. Then we walked around the wildlife sanctuary and saw kangaroos, koalas, tree kangaroos, crocs, lorikeets, etc. Sunday was the Paniyiri Greek Festival! It was a huge event! I headed over with some girls from my class. We ate excessive amounts of haloumi and various other delicious Greek foods, did some crazy Greek dancing, watched a grape stomping contest and an olive eating competition, and just wandered around the grounds taking it all in.
You drove for your first time on the wrong side of the road... through Sunnybank? My, you're daring! :P
ReplyDelete-riumplus from LJ