Last night in celebration of the tongue-in-cheekily named "Anti-Man's Day", some girls and I headed out to Pintxo tapas train. I've never come across the "train" phenomenon in Canada, but it's a big thing here. I just googled it and there's a sushi train in Toronto and some in BC - none in Ottawa. So, anyone want to start a small business? These places are always incredibly busy! Basically you sit at down and there's a conveyer belt winding through the restaurant. Different meal choices pass by and you just grab the plate you want. You pay based on how many plates you have at the end and what colour the plates are. If you want one of the hot options, you order from the server. As we all know, I am a slave to gimmicks...so clearly these types of places excite me to no end. Alright, back to the story - in Brisbane, there are many sushi trains but only one tapas train. Same concept, just that instead of sushi you get little tapas plates - for example: meatballs, deep friend olives, pork stuffed with cheese, mini empanadas, pancetta topped prawns, and various skewers of veggies & cheese were a few of the various options I watched travel by. Above you can see some skewers with onion & olives, bean salad, and bread with olive tapenade and anchovies. My friend Jen and I are pretty much the planners of Anti-Man's day so it was a mix of her friends and mine. After the dinner, we split off and some people went to a cocktail bar while I went with some others to see a band called "Inland Sea". One of the guys in my class sings and plays guitar in the band and they were fantastic! We were really happy that we had gone to see the show. You could tell they had worked really hard and it paid off! From there, we caught the train home (and then Jeremy and I tried to Skype a bunch of people, which mostly failed!!!!!! We talked to Kim for a bit which was awesome and I finally got to talk to Jackie which also made me happy).
Below is a picture of Lisa, me and Lynn. Lisa is in Speech Path with me and she's from Ottawa. Lynn is from somewhere near Toronto and she's doing her Master's in Physiotherapy.
I'm feeling a little homesick today, which is fairly rare. Maybe it's the fact that no one picked up our Skype calls, or maybe it's just that Jeremy is so close to going home and I don't get to go. i'm sure it'll pass.Right now Jeremy is out in the dining room feasting and studying with Jen and Jess...I wonder if this will be a regular Sunday study session. You should see the food! Haloumi wrapped in prosciutto, fruit salad, an array of fresh veggies, and homemade guacamole with homemade pita chips! Speaking of which, haloumi is another thing I hadn't heard of pre-Australia. It's a type of cheese made from a mixture of goat and sheep's milk which has a high melting point so people will often grill it. It's very common to go out to a restaurant and see grilled haloumi as an 'entree' which Australians say instead of appetizer and which was a bit confusing for awhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment