Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rainy, gloomy Saturdays are not as fun as sunny, non-gloomy Saturdays. I think I might go for a run (which basically consists of me running up and down the playing field beside our house till I feel like flinging myself on the ground dramatically while gasping for air...and yes, I might really actually do that rather than just *feel* like doing it).

Yesterday was my second last clinic day of the semester and it was awesome! I seriously love my kid. Well, not really, nothing weird - but he is the best! We started working on the /k/ sound which he always replaces with a /t/ sound - so car is tar, etc. First I showed him what my mouth/tongue looked like when I made the sound. I held the tip of my tongue down with my finger so that it wouldn't tap my alveolar ridge to make a /t/. I got him to do that as well, but he just kind of moved his mouth so he could still say /t/. Then his mum stuck her finger in his mouth and accidentally stabbed his tongue with her nail, so he wouldn't let her do that again! Next, he proceeded to gag himself with his finger...so it wasn't working too well. Finally I laid down on the floor with him beside me, got him to hold the tip of his tongue while he opened his mouth as wide as he could, and it worked! It didn't just work on the ground though. I broke out some dinosaur footprint and had him stomp on them across the room going K K K K K K K K K K K and eventually he didn't need his finger in his mouth at all! His mom was totally impressed and said they were going to work on it all the way to the car. Hahaahha. Yay, success!

What else? Oh yeah, Jeremy and I were walking down a road last night and heard a commotion beside us, which usually means some type of animal (in this case, a possum). It was on a tree branch on the side of the road fairly level with us, and it was the tamest possum I've ever seen. It was less than a metre away and it just stopped and stared and sniffed us. Jeremy stuck his hand out and it grabbed onto it like it was looking for food. Sadly, we didn't have any. It seems like bat season is pretty much over which is quite the relief as I don't like huge things randomly flying out of trees and bushes as I walk by. It tends to be rather startling!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job with the 'K' sound, you are an amazing Speechie aldeady and still just learning.

    Now maybe you can help my cousin Graham, his 'T' sounds are 'F' sounds, so it can be quite embarrassing with he tries to say "Truck" in public!

    ReplyDelete