
I had been congratulating myself on the fact that it was now late August and I hadn't yet been attacked by a crazy winged thing slamming itself into my helmet, or worse, my face/head. I think I've had enough transport-related accidents since I've been here, thanks! Recap: Numerous ripped open bloody toes from biking with flip-flops, two broken toes, a hurt foot and lots of scrapes from a spill on the way home from work last year, whiplash and extreme arm/neck pain from giant SUV lady slamming into my poor car and wrecking it...
I still haven't been attacked but upon searching for pictures so you could see for yourselves these evil little things, I read a few articles which were worrisome. Apparently crazy season doesn't start until late SEPTEMBER - except I distinctly remember the horror last year starting in August. I may be mistaken. Perhaps I shall check my blog archives and see for myself. Great idea! Well, in any case I bike to school every day and I am REALLY crossing my fingers that there are just no crazy ones on my route. I think when that happens it will be a sign to start walking to uni again. Except...they ALSO attack people who are walking and you're much less protected because you're not wearing a helmet.
Even now I'm on the lookout. Any time I hear a bird when I'm on my bike, my head starts to frantically swivel and I start feeling panicked. I know it's not a magpie, because I know what they sound like - especially when they're on the attack - but it sends shivers of horror up my spine nonetheless. How would you feel if this was happening to you???

Winter is coming in Canada, but count yourselves lucky! First of all...I'm dreading the summer heat, ugh. I would stop biking ANYWAY since I'd arrive at class/clinic even sweatier and messier than I do when I walk...but also, you don't have to face this magpie terror which has been known to peck out the eyes of small children and adults alike!
Bahahaha! The youtube videos are so much better than the pictures!!! As if you have to worry about being attacked by a bird on your way to school. Carry around a tennis racket, just in case!
ReplyDeleteCarolyne
xox
YAY!!!! Someone else who comments. I'll never forget your brother's reactions to those videos and then how he kept telling the story to everyone!! So funny. Magpies = TERRIFYING.
ReplyDelete