Monday, August 2, 2010

Thongs


I tend not to care about brand names. Unlike in high school, where it was really cool to wear a shirt with a giant ROXY emblazoned across it, now I'd actually avoid buying something for that same reason. Sometimes, though, certain brands are just better than others. This is the case with Havaianas thongs (or flip-flops, for you Canadians...flip-flops is much cuter). When Tracee came to visit in April 2009, she noticed a curious thing - a large proportion of Australians were wearing this certain type of thong. Flip-flop. Thong. I'm just going to call them flip-flops!! Go into a surf shop and you'll find a giant rack of them. Tracee did just that, and was very happy with her purchase. I made fun of her but she seemed really pleased and I finally broke down and bought some. THEY ARE THE BEST EVER. At home, I go through multiple pairs of dollar store flip-flops in a summer. They wear down like crazy and are pretty much ready for the garbage after two months. Not Havaianas! I could (and pretty much have) wear them every day for a year and they would still be great. My first pair was pink and black and they made me fall in love with the brand. I wore them for five months and then one of them mysteriously disappeared (maybe during the move?) and I was filled with sadness and regret. The other day, one of the Canadians in my class asked what shoe size I wore. I told her, and lo and behold, she had a free pair of Havaianas for me that happened to be identical to the old pair!! She had bought them for her sister, but they didn't fit, so she tried to wear them but they were too big and hurt her feet. It was like they had come full circle to me...I LOVE HAVAIANAS!! I'll never be able to wear another type of flip-flop again. I don't know what it is. They're not particularly pretty or cool looking. It must be the comfort and the durability. I have respect for that sort of thing. Too bad I can't wear Havaianas to clinic...

3 comments:

  1. I wear mine pretty much everyday, in the summer, and they are still in amazing shape. Best Aussie souvenir I brought home for myself. So far they have even survived a couple puppy attacks.

    I am watching House Hunters International right now, they are in Brisbane!! :)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best ever! Thanks for influencing me to give in to the brand name, and sorry for laughing at you. If I move back to Canada I need to bring 18 pairs of these with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will only need 1 pair, they will last forever!! But I guess you might want some different colours, and some backups in case you randomly lose one. I mean, who loses 1 shoe? LOL

    ReplyDelete