Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Politics Schmolitics

I guess that since a federal election is coming up in the country I'm living in, I should probably make reference to it at least once.

The next Australian federal election will elect members of the 43rd Parliament of Australia and will be held on Saturday 21 August 2010,[3] in which 14 million Australians are enrolled to vote.[4] The opposition centre-right Liberal/National Coalition led by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will be the main challenger to the incumbent centre-left Australian Labor Party led by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

Australia has compulsory voting, and uses full-preference instant-runoff voting in single-member seats for the lower house (the House of Representatives), and single transferable vote with group voting tickets in the proportionally represented upper house (the Senate). The election will be conducted by the Australian Electoral Commission.

What's important here? Well...

a) Australia has mandatory voting

b) Liberal here = Conservative in Canada

c) Australia's first woman prime minister - let's see if she can keep it. Signs point to yes.

d) Julia Gillard wants Australia to become a republic when the Queen dies and plans to lead a national debate on the form the republic would take.

I'm tired of this already. It's not like it will affect me. Maybe one day I will be interested in politics. I had hope when I met Jeremy. I was 21, and he said he didn't care about politics till he was 23 or 24. So I thought maybe at that magical age I would suddenly care. I have passed the mystical timepoint and I still can't. As soon as anyone starts talking about it, my eyes just glaze over and I get this lost look on my face and feel incredibly stupid and uninformed. I guess if I had stuck with Journalism at Carleton, I probably would have had to keep myself up to date and knowledgeable about stuff. But as it stands, I don't get why people have political talk at dinner anyway. In my experience, it usually leads to people yelling. Celebrity gossip is MUCH more relevant and fascinating! okay...I'm just kidding about that...kinda.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, and I have a few years on ya. Maybe that is why journalism wasn't your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's weird because I can force myself to read about it and educate myself about it (well...rarely) - but I just can't stir up the passion in myself that other people have. I guess I have kind of a laissez-faire attitude, but I also won't be throwing my fork across the dinner table any time soon. Well, at least not due to political discussion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boooo to politics. They all lie anyways!

    Carolyne

    ReplyDelete