Thursday, October 18, 2012

I am awake at 5:30 am for absolutely no reason.  This makes me sad.  In order to feel semi-productive, I will make eggs and write a blog post...oh, and look up flights for the outlaws, who will be here in LESS THAN A MONTH, holy moly!

Our time in Brisbane is really winding down.  I'm excited for new adventures, but at the same time...when Jeremy was just away for 9 weeks, I was so well taken care of here.  I had so many invitations to dinner and just to hang out and I was as busy as I wanted to be.  I have really amazing friends here and it will be sad to move away.  However, when J was applying to Queensland spots, the three hospitals that had places left were Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton.  We were thinking we might get Townsville, which is pretty much the same flight distance from Brisbane as Adelaide is.  So it seems further because it's in a different state, but really leaving Brisbane was almost inevitable.  There are lots of things I will miss about Brisbane, but the hardest thing to leave behind will definitely be the people. 

I've told most people at work that I won't be renewing my contract and I think they're kinda sad?  These really lovely ladies (teachers, teacher aides, and head of special education) at one of my schools (my favourite one, shhhhh) even made me birthday cupcakes and got me a present.  So cute!  It makes it even harder to leave this job when I have awesome people like that to work with.

Hmmmmm...what else?  Oh yes, we have an actual date to work with now.  Jeremy's orientation at the hospital starts on the 9th of January - less than 3 months away!  So we really need to get organized.  I will leave you with some Adelaide facts...

Adelaide (play /ˈædəld/[3]) is the capital city of South Australia and the fifth-largest city in Australia. According to the 2011 census, Adelaide has a population of 1.23 million.[4] The demonym "Adelaidean" is used in reference to the city and its residents.[5] Adelaide is north of the Fleurieu Peninsula, on the Adelaide Plains between the Gulf St Vincent and the low-lying Mount Lofty Ranges which surround the city. Adelaide stretches 20 km (12 mi) from the coast to the foothills, and 90 km (56 mi) from Gawler at its northern extent to Sellicks Beach in the south.

Adelaide has a warm Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa),[30] where most of the rain falls in the winter months. Despite a warm Mediterranean climate, Adelaide receives enough annual precipitation to avoid Köppen's BSh (semi-arid climate) classification. Rainfall is unreliable, light and infrequent throughout summer. In contrast, the winter has fairly reliable rainfall with June being the wettest month of the year, averaging around 80 mm. Frosts are occasional, with the most notable occurrences having occurred in July 1908 and July 1982. Hail is also common in winter. There is usually no appreciable snowfall, except for very light falls at Mount Lofty and some places in the Adelaide Hills.

Ummmmmm...that's all pretty boring, but Wikipedia is FAILING me!!  I better actually get ready for work now.   Maybe the most exciting thing about Adelaide, along with the wine, markets, climate, etc...is the potential to literally have the beach in my back yard.  It would be a dream come true! 



No comments:

Post a Comment