http://m.afr.com/p/national/adelaide_makes_lonely_planet_top_zblkFJOd0mOLxx5JgWTyFP
The link posted above contains an article about how the Lonely Planet has ranked Adelaide as the number 9 city IN THE WORLD to visit in 2014.
Jeremy and I both adore Adelaide. It's not for everyone, but coming from Ottawa (which is a similar size) I think we both appreciate a 'smaller' big city. I thought I would reflect on what I have come to love about Adelaide in the last 10 months...
- It's known as the city of festivals. Festivals are fantastic. A couple of weeks ago, there was a weekend long CHEESEFEST. Honestly. Really? Yes. In March, the Adelaide Fringe Festival occurs and the city is transformed. Fringe and Cheesefest are only two of the amazing festivals this city has to offer.
- 20 minute bike ride to the beach. As in, the ocean. Jeremy and I cycled there last weekend on a 29 degree day, had a swim, and then had a drink at a restaurant with a patio overlooking the ocean. It was like a tropical vacation...A 20 MINUTE BIKE RIDE FROM OUR HOUSE. Oh and also, it's flat, which makes the bike riding much more enjoyable in my opinion.
- Related to last post - we BIKED on a 29 degree day. In Brisbane, this would be horrendous (I'm sorry Brisbane, I do love you - particularly your amazing people - but I just can't deal with your humidity) but in Adelaide...it was PLEASANT. Dry, desert heat. It's bloody amazing.
- Food truck festival. I think that covers that.
- Surrounded by wine regions that are among the best in the world. Most notably the Barossa and Clare Valley...but my favourite is McLaren Vale, and we can't forget the Adelaide Hills.
- The markets are wonderful. The one on Sunday even has cheese curds. Real ones.
- Daylight savings!!!!!!! In the summer, it stays light until after 9 pm. I missed this. It makes me happy.
- It's known as the '20 minute city' because getting from point a to point b generally takes 20 minutes or less.
- Harris Scarfe, my new favourite department store. Really nice, good quality stuff and it's usually on sale!
- The DFO (direct factory outlet) aka Harbourtown aka outlet shopping centre is ON MY WAY TO WORK. Oooh, speaking of which, usually DFOs are beside airports, this one included. The Adelaide airport is basically in the middle of the city. So convenient!!
- It also helps that I absolutely love my job, which contributes to my overall positive feelings for this city. But even when I was jobless and sad, I could still see the awesome.
So...yay for an underrated city which Australians often make fun of making it on to such a list - however, some Adelaidians are smart enough to know that being underrated is not the worst thing and they want to keep the amazingness secret. I feel I must apologize to those people, since I have let the cat out of the bag to the 6 people that read this!
No comments:
Post a Comment