Monday, February 16, 2009

The beginning of another week. Time passes by so quickly. We've been here for almost six weeks now! It feels longer than that, but shorter - if that makes any sense at all!

I'm still really liking my job. Tomorrow I'll possibly be there on my own, as my boss has to go to a funeral and the other speechie who works there full-time was off sick today and might not come in tomorrow either. Apparently I seem very trustworthy - I already have my own key and the run of the office! Not to mention, Sandra got my e-mail, met and hired me all in the span of two days! Well, I can't complain :) I'm still looking for job #2 since I'd like more hours of work. It would also be nice to work somewhere larger with more people so I can broaden my social horizon!!

Speaking of which, I've started trying more actively to seek out interesting things to join. I think I will join a book club that I've been looking into. I also have been trying to find a casual softball league...I used to play as a kid and it was a lot of fun, I can't really remember why I stopped. The closest I've found is a club about half an hour away by car, or 1.5 hours by bus. Ewwwwww. I may be able to carpool though, so that would improve the situation immensely! I also signed up for a French language club, which meets at 10 am every Saturday. It's free and you can just drop in whenever you feel like it, so that sounded kind of cool.

This Friday there's a big event happening called "UQ Med Sports Day". Guess what? It revolves around booze!!! (Surprise, surprise) Jeremy and the other first years will show up at The Regatta for 10:30 am and wait for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students who have all met up at various other locations. They have a few drinks (Yes...yes..I said 10:30 AM) and then run with the torch to UQ to complete the circuit and then participate in a day of fun-filled activities, sports...and um, perhaps a bit more drinking. These are the unofficial rules:

Some tips for first years...
1. If you run, please stay out of the way of traffic and keep your clothes on!
2. Feel free to accessorize your scrubs, but just remember pink is ONLY for MBBS IV.. Your time will come.
3. If The Regatta doesn't let you in for the kick-on because your scrubs have writing all over them, don't worry.. Go around the corner, turn them inside out and try again.
4. If you are planning to run, wearing thongs can be somewhat of a burden. (Thongs as in flip-flops...Jeremy now wears thongs regularly...bahahahaha)
5. Buy your convenors a drink! (just kidding, but seriously..)

"Keep your clothes on" - it may sound like one of those things that doesn't need to be said, but let's just say I've already seen my fair share of med student streakers (football field + keg party, use your imagination!)

So I'll be meeting up with them around 5 pm, camera in hand, ready for blackmail pics!! Hah!!

Well, I know medical school really sounds like all fun and games but Jeremy IS working very hard. He set up a tutorial group (six girls and two guys, how horrible for the boys!) and arranged everything, including the schedule, meet up times, and the actual tutor. In his PBL group (Problem Based Learning, the foundation for his program) he has taken charge and assigned tasks to everyone, even making sure to make up a list which details who provides snacks each week! He's very organized and dedicated, so it's nice that they have these fun days once in awhile to allow the students to breathe again!

Wow, that was way longer than expected, so I'll end there for now. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment