The best advice anyone gave to me before I left for Australia was probably something D'Arcy told me the morning of our departure. "Do you know what kills most Canadians in Australia?" (No, the answer is not dingos) "Cars. Make sure that you look right first. Then look left, then look right again!" This goes against every instinct but is beginning to be more automatic and less forced. I can truly see how someone would just step out into the road without thinking though...Anyway, thanks to D'Arcy for keeping me alive :) Now let's hope when I come back to Canada a few years older, my brain will be able to deal with the sudden switch!
It feel like the majority of Australians are fairly...fearless...when they drive and this definitely takes some getting used to. Most people who have been in a car with me before have become aware of my Amaxophobia. I just can't help my reactions. My co-worker Amy has ever so nicely offered/insisted on picking me up every morning and driving me to work. She's great - but very Australian in her driving. As I don't want my co-worker who I've known for less than a month to realize that I'm out of my mind, I have to work very hard on stifling my reactions. Gah! Roundabouts everywhere!!!
haha! Well maybe after a few years of driving over there / being in the car with someone, your reactions will decrease to just a light gasp! :)
ReplyDeleteI can only hope!!!
ReplyDelete