Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I painted it red!

The town? The roses?

Nope...the fridge! Our fridge is now fire engine red. It needs another coat of paint, but I ran out. The first coat was a huge ordeal so I'm not all that keen on doing it again! Afterwards I had to clean up the overspray that had gone EVERYWHERE - including my lungs! Aggggh...but looking on the bright side (and I mean very bright) I love my fridge! When you see before and after pictures, you'll realize that this was not a frivolity but a necessity. Free fridges are great, but when they've been sitting underneath a Queenslander* for an extended period of time...well, they begin to need a coat or two of red paint!

*Queenslander buildings are identifiable by large verandahs and large double doors which open onto these verandahs. They are typically raised on vertical "stumps," made of timber or concrete. The stumps served two purposes, firstly to elevate the houses for ventilation and secondly to protect them from floodwaters, as well as termites and other pests. Queenslanders are always constructed of mostly wood, although some are restored with prefabricated plastic cladding. In the days before air-conditioning, it was designed to increase air-flow throughout the house by way of large doors and windows, which lined up internally. This is so that the air literally passes through the house, rather than entering through one window and stagnating in the room. Roofs are generally made of corrugated iron or tin, and external walls are sided with timber, often painted in mild pastel colours. Raising the house on stumps meant the under floor area could be used for an old form of refrigeration.

Anyone who just read that must be bored at work, or something! Heh.

Speaking of work, today was my first day at my new job!!! They've never had any sort of support staff before - 100% speech pathologists - so it's pretty interesting/hectic. Lots to learn!

BTW - Mum, Dad and Leanne get 943859845 million gold stars for downloading SKYPE!!!! Hope to talk to you guys soon :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey you! So I have Skype, but I don't have a mic yet. :( I could try using it and just yelling real loud at my monitor...think that will work?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA - if you yell loud enough for me to hear in Australia then we could probably work something out!

    Alright, you also get 938493287487325 gold stars :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!!!!!!
    Now what to do with all those stars ....

    ReplyDelete