The last few days have been eventful.
First of all, I love my job! I really like being busy all the time, doing different things constantly, picking up all sorts of tips/ideas for materials, and just generally being in a speech pathology clinic environment. The kids are so cute too, with their little Aussie accents! Holy moly. Not to mention my co-workers, who are lovely. The owner/director, Sandra is great - very flexible and understanding. Amy is the full-time SLP who works at my site (Tarragindi) and I'm guessing she's close to my age. She got married just this July actally. We have lots to talk about, and I'm missing my girlfriends, so it's really fantastic!
Yesterday evening Jeremy called me over because some neighbours I hadn't met yet were wondering if we wanted some hanging racks (you use them in place of a closet). I went to have a look and they were perfect, so we took them. We actually ended up staying at their place for dinner (ordered pizza) and talking for about four hours on their huge, beautiful back deck. What wonderful people! They're in their early 50s and still have a couple of kids living at home. Actually, their kids are spaced apart the same as Ro, Shane and me - their kids are 28, 26, and 23, so all the kids are 3 years older than my siblings and I who are 25, 23, 20. Annette (the mom) is going through treatment for breast cancer and will be starting the final phase - radiation - in a week or so. Her husband Mike worked middle management for an insurance company but was recently laid off so he's enjoying his break for now, so he can really be there to support his wife. They told us some neighbourhood gossip, and when we left we took with us a microwave, two boxes of glasses/mugs/etc, and a chest of drawers (dresser). They also offered to let us use their laundry facilities whenever we wanted (but we're getting a washer this weekend so we should be okay!) and told us that if we ever got too hot just to come in and hang out in their air-conditioned house!!!! Seriously, how do we find these people??? It's like adopting a family!
We also found out that the previous tenants of our house were refugees from Sudan. In the house that the two of us live in now, there used to be a family of six! Obviously it was a way bigger change for them than for us - apparently one of the little kids said when they arrived in Australia: "Where are all the guns?"
Hope everyone is doing well. I hear there's a Winter Wonderland party going on at the Nichol Farm soon - sounds fab! Miss you guys, wish I could be there (well...kinda! Hehe)
xox
No comments:
Post a Comment