Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Spring has sprung

The trees are purple and it's time for study.

In a couple of weeks, both Jeremy and I will be HALF DONE our courses! Exciting, yes? Well, it is to me. Jeremy is really looking forward to years 3 & 4 where he'll be doing clinical stuff the whole time. He gets the whole summer off - well deserved, I suppose :P I get a whole 3 days off before returning to UQ for the summer semester. 3 days!!! Wow. We get 2 weeks off at Christmas, which I am looking forward to a lot...I want it to be now! After Christmas, the GEMS (Graduate Entry Master's Students, that's me, I'm a GEMS!!) go on our 6 week block placements. We've been placed all around Queensland - some people in Cairns, Toowoomba, Rockhampton...I realize these names won't mean much to you, except possibly Cairns! I applied to do mine in New Zealand. It was the first year it was ever an option, and I was notified that I was the student chosen to go. GREAT!!!! Except now the whole thing looks like it's going to fall through. If I don't go to NZ, I have a placement in Logan - a Cornwall-esque town about half an hour outside of Brisbane. I'll be in the acute adult ward of a hospital and I'm basically having a heart attack thinking about it. I'll be working with people who've had laryngectomies, who have trachs in, swallowing problems, etc etc etc. I wanted rehab............but this will be a really good learning experience! Dysphagia is scary but an essential part of a speech path's caseload, especially in hospitals.

This Friday is my last UQ clinic day of the semester. I'm relieved that it's over. As far as clinics go, it wasn't horrible, but literacy/spelling aren't my favourite areas to vdo therapy in and we actually haven't had any classes relating to these things which made it that much more difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment