Saturday, October 30, 2010

To research or not to research?

The speech path program is structured interestingly here, in that you get to choose whether you want to do the research stream or not. I'm not sure that it's an option in Canada, and for this reason I feel that I should do the research so that I can have at least one publication out of my master's and be competitive with people graduating from Canadian schools.

This semester we had a class called Advanced Research Methods. We had to get into groups of 3 and choose a project from a list provided by the school. My group and I chose "Who gets most aphasia therapy?" Based on our project, we each had to do a literature review which was worth 40% of our grade. We then had to work as a group to submit an ethics protocol for the proposed project. The rest of our mark for the course is made up of a few stats assignments and the final exam. When it comes time to decided research/non-research for next year, if all members of the group decide to stay involved, that means your project will definitely go through. Sadly...I'm the only one of my group who still wants to do research. In that case, I'll be put with a random group that someone has dropped out of and work on their project. I was not all that pleased with how this works, until I talked to a girl in my class who has an opening in her project 'Aphasia & Smartphones". I am actually way more excited about this project than the one I was previously working on, AND the advisor is a lady named Bronwyn who has done a lot of work in aphasia research. Not to mention, she's just lovely and I get such a good vibe from her. So excited!!! I won't get put with a random group whose research I hate! Yay!!

Last night I caught up with Mike and Annette while Jeremy studied. Annette had her grandsons over. They're 5 and 3 and a handful! A cute handful, but...wow!! She takes care of them a lot. They are lucky kids. So naughty! Sticking hands in the jam jar, putting the hose in the house, jumping on the couch...hahaha. It had been awhile since I had last talked to them so it was nice just to spend some time over there. Today Sarah is having a German themed party with bratwurst, sourkraut and home-brewed beer. Tonight we must make an appearance at a Halloween party. Following these exciting events will be a full week of study.

1 comment: