Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ethical Geniuses

First of all, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS! I have now been inspired to carry on. Special credit to Mum. Love you! xx

So for the last several weeks I've had to endure sitting through 3 hours of ethics presentations every Tues afternoon. I also had to prepare one of these presentations with a group. This year, I decided that I didn't want to work with the same people I always work with. Last semester, this decision ended up being a bit of a disaster! Let's not go there. This semester, however, I have had awesome group experiences across the board. Our ethical scenario involved a nurse calling you from an aged care facility and asking you to change the patient's diet over the phone (when you had just assessed and modified her diet for safety) because the patient had stopped eating. There were many things to consider in this case and we had to use an ethical decision making model to puzzle it out, come up with a variety of options, pick two and discuss them thoroughly and then choose one. We based our presentation on 'Can of Worms" an Australian show that has a panel of experts discuss controversial topics. It was hilarious and awesome, if I do say so myself. Our prof thought so too - 95%!!! So happy. Today is Community Education Day. For this project, we were assigned to groups and given a topic/tasks to complete. Somehow through the luck of the draw, I got what I believe is the best group in the class! There were no dramas, no arguing, no panicking...We all just did what needed to be done. With a group of 7 people, this is a pretty great feat. Now we'll be presenting our project at a poster day where speech pathologists from around Brisbane will be coming around and asking questions. My group has some beautiful mustard yellow t-shirts from the Hear and Say Centre and will also be wearing yellow ribbons in our hair. Matching is key! Let's hope it all goes off without a hitch.

Finally, this morning my research group has our second last meeting EVER with our advisors. We have put together a full draft of our paper and will be meeting with them today to discuss it. The end is really, really, REALLY in sight! Next Wednesday we have our final lecture (followed by snacks and champagne provided by the lecturers...(yes, really) and then Friday is "Welcome to the Profession Drinks" put on by Speech Pathology Australia. I can't believe I'm sooooooooooo close to my dream job!! Let's just hope everything stays on track!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you. You are going to make an amazing speechie. I wish my teachers gave us drinks, champagne no less.

    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leana you will be fabulous! You already are! Your dream come true!!! YAY
    Love, Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leana that is fantastic! I always knew you would be a great success....after all you have the Lamirande gene in ya! I am so proud of you!!!!
    Love you always...yer redneck aunt mich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw - love you guys!

    And yeah, free champagne - speechies know how to party!! (If I ever work in Canada, I will have to train myself not to say "speechie" - I think they would all look at me as if I had just grown another head!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! Australeana - You are the bestest!
    Love Dad ♥

    ReplyDelete