Here I am with my Community Education group in all our YELLOW GLORY in front of our poster with the website and brochure we designed! Okay, so it was really boring to stand there for 3 hours waiting for people to come ask about our project, but it's over and at least we...matched? Learned something?This is it. WEEK 13. My final week of classes and clinic. I had clinic today and I'll have it again on Friday. This morning I did a Lidcombe session with a boy who has a stutter. Lidcombe is considered 'gold standard' treatment for younger kids who stutter. It's based on operant behaviour/behaviourist theory and the parent is the main facilitator. The speechie's role is basically to teach them how to give praise/corrections and how to determine a rating of severity. (It's a bit more involved than that, but who wants to hear about that anyway). So pretty much it was a review session with the kid and his mum. We played games and he talked a whole bunch and I gave him appropriate reinforcement. It was really fun! Didn't feel like doing work at all. He was a super pleasant, chatty kid and apparently his stutter has gotten a lot better over the last few months. I had never met him before so I had nothing to compare it to, but he did quite well. I was a bit nervous beforehand since I've never done any fluency therapy but it was all good!
This weekend was a bit of a bore. Stayed in, did work, read books. OOOOOH, speaking of books, ROSS IF YOU'RE READING THIS - I finally got the book you've been recommending: "Every Man Dies Alone". How uplifting! I've only read a few pages in but am excited to keep going. Actually, I shouldn't say it was a bore. I met up with my friend Marion and went to see her clinic. We discussed me getting a job there and how it would work. Jeremy and I also went on a bike ride in the Toohey Forest and up to Mt. Gravatt Lookout. There were LOTS of hills. We made it though and ate a Subway lunch at the top of the lookout! Jeremy had his first "swooping" though it wasn't as dramatic as when it happened the me - the magpie just swooped over his head a few times rather than bashing into his helmet. My friend Lisa was swooped at the UQ bus stop the other day - it sounds hilarious and I wish I had been there. She was eating a sandwich and this bird decided it wanted the sandwich so started swooping her and slamming into her hand to try and get it! She shoved it in her mouth as fast as she could once she realized what was happening!! This was in front of a big group of people too...heh heh. Classic!
No comments:
Post a Comment