Sunday, October 16, 2011

LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TILL CLASSES AND CLINIC ARE OVER!!!!!!!

Today I went to my first engagement party. It was fun, but seemed to be a lot of effort. There were about 80 people there. They served egg mcmuffin type things, punch, and a giant array of sweet and goodies including FRUIT KEBABS! We played croquet and baci ball wearing colourful dresses in the bright sunshine and tried not to think about school stuff. It was a lovely Sunday morning kind of thing to do.

Speaking of balls (Was I speaking of balls?!), my friend Kim and I go to a gym together and on Saturday morning we did a fit ball class. It was pretty good - my abs are still sore! The instructor was funny...I think she got a kick out of saying things like "Grab your balls, girls!" I was pretty sad when the gym around the corner from my house closed because I had been going there for two months and it was sooo conveniently close. When it closed, we switched over to one in Greenslopes which is much less convenient but they offer a lot more (e.g. the fit ball classes) so I guess it's a trade off. There are also more machines, so that's good too.

This afternoon Jess is coming over and we're going to ride our bikes into Fortitude Valley and back. Then, we will watch a movie and cook dinner. I think I deserve a fun Sunday after spending all of Friday night working on my research paper when Jeremy was out with Jess and her mom, Kathy B having a hilarious time! Research group is getting a bit dramatic - there's one girl out of the four of us who has contributed the least and is kind of.........ok, I don't want to be mean so I won't say it, but let's just say she was supposed to graduate with the class ahead of us, but then failed something so was then supposed to graduate with our class, but then failed something else so uh...yeah. Our group is getting very irritated with her lack of effort and the fact that we've carried her through this year long project, which may get published and will then have her name on it for doing basically nothing! Argh. /vent

It's such a gorgeous sunny day today. It was a bit of a stormy week, with hail and crazy thunderstorms. We were at Sarah and Brian's yesterday hanging out in their backyard and you could just see this massive storm rolling up. The sky got really dark and the wind picked up. We all manned our posts, trying to make sure the tarps that we were sitting under didn't blow over. There was a really cool cloud like nothing I've ever seen before...it was gray and swirling and spinning like crazy above our heads. Sarah's niece Eloise said "It looks like fairy floss!" and it totally did! (Btw, fairy floss = cotton candy). So it poured for about 5 minutes and then passed right over and left some good mud puddles for the toddlers there to stomp in! We saw Wendy and Jim and Jim is really not doing very well at all. His heart is failing and the doctor said there's not a lot they can do and it might not be worth operating on, but they're going to another appointment on Tues so they will hear more then. He spent a lot of time sleeping yesterday. Wendy is great as always - she was supposed to be in Europe right now but decided against it because of Jim's health, but in early Nov she'll be going on a trip to Nepal...I think?

Anyhow, I better go get ready for my bike ride on this lovely clear sunny day!

3 comments:

  1. Lana, Do they have a guest day rate? I'd like to use the machines and take part in a class!♥ Do you have an extra bike!!!!??????
    I'm sorry to hear about Jim. How long has he had heart problems?
    It will be interesting to learn the expressions and terminology (witches' hat, fairy floss .....) cotton candy!
    Really?? Can she still be considered part of the group if she hasn't contributed??? I think, as a group, I would talk to the Prof!
    Thinking of you, Love you!!!!! ♥♥♥Ma♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...you're the best ;)

    Jeremy and I both have bikes and my friend Lisa lives around the corner and is very nice about lending out her bike. It'll be boiling hot, but you and Dad and I should do the bike ride to South Bank and go for a swim...hopefully on a day that it's not inundated by sticky children!!!

    We'll have to look into the gym thing and see if you can come as a guest. That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great!!!
    Love you, Ma

    ReplyDelete