1. Yesterday we had our meeting with Deb, our advisor (and the head of speech pathology at UQ). She was really happy with our research paper and wants it to be published! She said we did a good job and we met our deadline and, well, YAY FOR US! We're going to submit it to the International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. It probably won't be published for months, but it is still awesome!
2. Working at SpeechNet has paid off. I have an interview at a private practice on the Gold Coast at the end of November. Then today, I was talking to my friend Marion (who was a new grad when I started working at SpeechNet and now owns her own private practice) and we kind of got around to the subject of her practice and then all of a sudden we were discussing me working there! She's calling her accountant to see what kind of hours she can offer me. She said "It's the easiest job you'll ever get!" (Not meaning workload...more in terms of it just being offered to me). It's a bit of a concern to think of working for a friend, but she's very straightforward and she said we would just need to communicate really well with each other, which I think is possible. It would likely be part-time and if I get the job at the Gold Coast, that would be part-time as well, so put 'em together and you get...FULL TIME! So...watch this space!! It would be great because the GC job is adults/kids and Marion's practice is just kids...so a variety!
3. Next Friday is my very last clinic, then I'm going to Speech Pathology Australia's "Wecome to the Profession" drinks, THEN on Saturday Jeremy and I are hoping to go to Byron Bay and stop and collect Shane on the way. I looooooooooooooove Byron Bay!
One area of concern - Argh. Visas. Obviously my student visa will not last forever - in fact, it expires in Feb 2012. The next step is for me to get a Graduate Visa (an economical $270 as opposed to permanent residency...um, let's not talk about how much that costs). As the name would suggest, I need to first GRADUATE in order to apply for this visa. However, employers kind of like to know that you hold a valid work visa in order to hire you. I got a call from Education Queensland the other day...I had submitted an application and they were calling to enquire about my visa status. Apparently they can't hire me on a student visa, and they are doing their big hiring spree right now. I e-mailed the lady a bunch of info about the graduate visa and my intentions, but who knows what will happen. This news makes it even more of a relief that I have these private practice opportunities on the horizon.
Whew. Well, things are happening! Stuff is going doooown! So excited for my family to get here and to go on our NZ cruise!! Only 50 days away! The weather right now in Brisbane is quite appealing - only minimally rainy, not too muggy/humid, and just generally pretty decent. Maybe it will stay that way?? Doubt it! This is my favourite time of year in Brisbane though - good weather and beautiful jacarandas blooming everywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment