Monday, December 9, 2013

Just add snow


There's something quite intriguing about going on a Christmas tree hunt in the Adelaide Hills on a 30 degree day.  Jeremy and I had copped out and gone for the $13 K-Mart option, but when Claire invited me to the hills for Sunday lunch and Christmas tree shopping, it seemed like a grand idea. 

Claire had very definite ideas about her tree: it needed to be cut down in front of her, between five and six feet tall, and bushy - not a scrawny little skinny one.  I'm not sure her housemates were as passionate, but they were good sports and went along with the idea. 

In order to find something of the sort, we needed to go to the "Real Christmas Tree Farm" in Forreston.  The friendly folk there pointed us in the direction of the trees and a young lad led the way on a 4 wheeler.  The lady who owned the place appeared to be sneakily pouring whiskey into her and her friend's Coke Zero cans - we accidentally caught them in the act and she seemed a little sheepish.

Eventually, they found a tree that fit Claire's exacting standards.  Here is the end result, set up in their living room:


Not too shabby, eh?  I think (sorry if I'm forgetting a distant childhood memory, but I know for a fact that my parents never had a real tree) that this is the first time in my life that I've been to a Christmas tree farm.  In Ottawa with Jeremy, we would get a real tree, but we just picked them up at the local grocery store.  It was pretty cool to actually take part in the whole process, but it would definitely seem more authentic to me if snow and sleighs were also involved!




No comments:

Post a Comment