Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Turn down the heat!

Actually (don't hate me) it's 38 degrees today and going up to 43 tomorrow and I'm currently sitting in the living room with no air conditioning on feeling quite pleasant.  I spent the day in the lovely air conditioned hospital and saw some private patients in Grace's air conditioned room.  Then I came home and decided to sit out in the pool with a book, which was rather enjoyable.  After dinner, Jeremy and I will go for a swim at the indoor aqua centre (which does seem a bit silly when there's a perfectly good beach a few kms away, but I suppose it's harder to keep track of swimming laps in the ocean).  43 should be pretty intense tomorrow...might need to switch on the a/c at that point!

Christmas events are happening all around us.  Adelaide certainly has a lot of spirit!  Last Sunday, we went to 'Carols by Candlelight', a huge event in Elder Park.  Apparently, over 30 000 people attended this event (it was pretty crowded).  We were at the far side of the park, not that close to the stage, but we were with friends and had a huge picnic, which was excellent.  There were also fireworks, but we left early so that we would be ready to meet with Hayley, Lance, Caleb and Aliana (and later Ross and Kath) on Skype for Advent celebrations.

I can't believe Christmas is only a week away.  Everything kind of gets caught up in a blur when you're working and there's no snow and no family around.  I don't know if I've already mentioned this, but this is the first year since we've moved to Australia that we will both be at our own place for Christmas.  The first year, Jeremy went off to Canada with Damian...the second year, we were in New Zealand together...the third year, Jeremy was in Brisbane and I was on a cruise with my family...the fourth year/last year, we were in Tasmania.  So this year we will both be in Adelaide, although I'm not sure I consider it having Christmas 'together' when Jeremy is working a 14 hour shift on Christmas Eve and and 13 hour shift on Christmas!  I will be working Christmas Eve, off Christmas Day, and I'll probably pop into work on Boxing Day (which Jeremy has off) because Lisa and I will be taking off from the 27-30.  Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment