Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Two posts in one day - but not for a happy reason

I've been turning to this blog more in the last couple of weeks.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe I just made an effort and now it's become a bit of a habit.  A lot of the things I post about are light-hearted, silly, fun...this year has been a really wonderful one for me, particularly since being lucky enough to meet and work with Grace.  I talk about it all the time, and I think it's pretty evident that this is my dream job and, I am the luckiest person ever to have stumbled upon it in the random way that I did.  I'm never sure what to call Grace - is she my boss, colleague, associate, co-worker, person who pays me??  But I do know that she has been my mentor, someone who encourages me, someone who has never ever made me feel stupid, who is available whenever I have a question and answers happily and in detail, someone I can laugh with and at the same time gain a huge amount of knowledge from.  She spent the last few years supporting her family, as her husband had kidney disease and was on dialysis.  She has a 23 year old daughter as well as 12 year old twin girls.  It was about this time last year that her husband had a kidney transplant and things were getting on track again.

This evening I noticed that I had a couple of missed calls from her on my phone, but no message.  We text and call each other all the time, so not all that unusual.  I texted her saying that I was going to be at hockey for the next hour or so, and did she want me to call her afterwards or wait until tomorrow.  She told me to call her after hockey.  I did, and she just didn't sound like herself on the phone.  I asked her if everything was alright, and she said "No, actually...I found out today that I have breast cancer".  Well - if my parents, in-laws, and other relatives didn't read this I would insert an expletive right about here. It just really sucks.  What else can I say?

While I've been living in Australia, a family member and friend have both had battles with cancer.  I was removed from what they were going through, but still thought of them often.  I hated that they had to go through it, and I hate that Grace has to have it happen to her. 

I wish I knew what to do/not do, say/not say in these circumstances. 


No comments:

Post a Comment