Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hey nephew, hurry up!

What a disappointing result to the Sens game.

Today is ANZAC Day. I'm sure I talked about what it is around the same time last year. What's different this year is that we actually went to the dawn service. Apparently the attendance this year was about 10 000 and we were part of that! It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. Jeremy, Adrian, Hayley and I were having dinner and contemplating what we should do for the night. Adrian was up for some dancing and we knew we wanted to meet up with Damian because he's moving to Canada really really soon. We somehow came up with the plan that we would go dancing in the Valley until midnight - everything closed then out of respect for ANZAC Day - at which point we would head back to our place to wait until about 3:30 and then go to ANZAC square in the city. I definitely took a lovely nap while we waited...even the espresso shot I did couldn't keep me awake! We got to ANZAC Square around 4 am and it was very solemn and quiet. It's always so interesting when you get a huge group, but everyone is being very respectful and silent. There were speeches, hymns and prayers along with the national anthems for NZ and Australia. We stood for a long time and my feet hurt. Anyhow, all in all, a worthwhile thing to go to...once. For more info about the background of the dawn service, feel free to have a look at this website:

www.anzacday.org.au/education/tff/dawn.html

No comments:

Post a Comment