In November, I started class with 31 other people. Two people dropped out the first week (Anatomy was quite the deterrent!). A week and a half ago, one of the master's students had a baby. She brought her one week old to class on Thursday and the baby was so quiet I had no idea it was even in class until two hours in when it made a little baby squeaky noise. Pretty nuts, she was in classes till a couple of days before the birth and she'll be writing exams next week with the rest of us. Next semester she's cutting her course load and only taking one class - which still seems like a lot to me when you have a newborn and a two year old! Another girl is about four months pregnant at this point, so clearly things will be changing for her as well. So for all intents and purposes, we're down to 28 taking a full course load...and now, very sadly, one of the Canadians has decided to go home. The classes aren't what she expected, she's not happy with how much it costs, she's incredibly homesick...so she's going home at the end of June after exams and not coming back. We'll definitely keep in touch, but it's unfortunate that she won't be around for the next year and a half. We went to Melbourne together and had a fantastic time! Oh well, she's made the decision that's best for her and that's all that matters.
I had a lovely weekend of mostly free events. Saturday there was a movie in the park in a suburb called Manly which is on the ocean. Amelia (the Canadian who's leaving) and I went, but we were a few hours early for the movie so decided to just walk around for a bit and go back home. I didn't feel like doing very much Sat night, so it was perfect when another friend called to see if I wanted to go over to her place and eat Chinese food while watching movies. Today was "Queensland Day" (which I didn't even know existed) and there was a free BBQ at the Roma St Parklands. I went with Lisa, but we were definitely missing a 5 year old...it was really more of a kid's event. We stayed for awhile then walked across to South Bank to have a look at the Young Designers Markets and Lifestyle Markets. It was very pleasant and I enjoyed walking around in jeans and a hoodie without getting heatstroke!!!!!
Slightly more about Q-Day/Week:
Each year the Queensland Government hosts Queensland Week to celebrate Queensland's official separation from New South Wales as an independent colony. It was on 6 June 1859 that Queen Victoria signed the Letters Patent authorising Queensland's separation. This day, 6 June, is known as Queensland Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment